CCR and Multiple DUNS numbers

Whynot

If a contractor has multiple DUNS numbers, and conducts its Federal business primarily through a business segment (not subsidiary) covered by a specific DUNS number, does the reference to ?offeror? in the CCR database apply to the entire company or to just the segment of the company covered by the specific single DUNS number? CCR allows only one DUNS number. Some of the data elements in CCR do not seem to make sense if you restrict your response to a single DUNS number and others don?t make sense if you look at the entire company. What is the rule?

Whynot,

I don't have personal experience, but the CCR User's Guide states:

The use of DUNS+4 Numbers to identify registrants is limited to identifying different CCR records for the same registrant at the same physical location. For example, a registrant could have two records for themselves at the same physical location to identify two separate bank accounts. (Registrants wishing to register their subsidiaries and other entities should ensure that each additional location obtains a separate DUNS Number from D&B at 1-866-705-5711.)
(emphasis added). In other words, nothing prevents a separate CCR record for each business unit.

• 3 weeks later...

just in terms of pinning down the significance of separate DUNS numbers,

I think it would help to correct your misapprehension that an entity can have only one (9-digit) DUNS number. It is just not true, your assertion that CCR only allows one (9-digit) DUNS number.

I don't know how it happens, but more than once I have found a vendor with two or more.

I have just one; can't see any need for more. But if I move, D&B requires me to get a new one. But I will still have my old one. But I have several DUNS+4. I use a separate bank account for each contract, and that calls for different DUNS+4 numbers on each bid or proposal.

TO YOUR QUESTION: "does the reference to ?offeror? in the CCR database apply to the entire company or to just the segment of the company covered by the specific single DUNS number ?"

Different DUNS numbers may or may not correspond to different segments. But every speck of data in the CCR database is tied to a specific DUNS number, not multiple ones. The same data can be put in multiple records for multiple DUNS numbers, but whatever you do or look at in CCR, it applies to one record at a time. Only the CCR folks in Warren can look across individual records, and if you were at TACOM you wouldn't be asking this question here.

Guest Vern Edwards

brian, FYI:

1. D&B assigns a DUNS number for each of a business's physical locations. So a business with more than one physical location can have more than one DUNS number.

2. A business can have more than one DUNS number for a single physical location under the following circumstances (I'm quoting from the D&B FAQ page, Frequently Asked Questions for D-U-N-S Number and CCR Registration at http://fedgov.dnb.com/webform/displayFAQPage.do):

Q: Can I have more than one D-U-N-S Number at the same physical location?

A: Yes, more than one D-U-N-S Number can be issued at the same physical location if they are (1) separate legal entities (ie; LLC, Inc., Corp) or (2) companies that have the same legal business name but different DBA?s and/or a different line of business that is specific to the nature of operations. An example of (2) is when a HQ and brand or division (see definitions below) are co-located, like a warehouse on the premises of the HQ. Definition: ? Headquarters is a business that has branches or divisions reporting to it and is financially responsible for them. ? Branch is a secondary location of the HQ. It is not a separate corporation and has no legal responsibilities for its debt. It can be located at the same address as the HQ, if a unique tradestyle is used. ? Division, like a branch, is a secondary location of a business. However, a division carries out specific business operations related to the headquarters under a divisional name.

brian, FYI:

Thanks, brother. Your willingness to share your knowledge and expertise is a big reason I come here. That, and the fact that site management runs a tight ship. I've never seen the ugliness here that I find on nearly EVERY other site on the 'Net.