8(a) IDIQ on which GWAC?

aduma

So our agency is really stringent on using these Best In Class vehicles and I'm wondering how to go about this. We have a need for an IDIQ/BPA type vehicle due to flexible demand for IT services. Specifically, we have needs that arise throughout the year for penetration testing of different systems, but it's hard to define what system and when we would need these services as new systems are added every year. We also need to award to an 8(a) company as the previous contract for such services were awarded to an 8(a). 

My original solution was to do a sole source 8(a) IDIQ to a trusted vendor who is SBA 8(a) certified and has done good work for us. However, because we can't award this under a BIC vehicle (no IDIQ under an IDIQ), I'm getting some pushback from procurement. What other options are there? 

Do your agency BIC vehicles have a exemption or waiver process?

57 minutes ago, aduma said:

...we can't award this under a BIC vehicle...

Well, there you go.  Since can’t award this under a BIC vehicle, a sole-source 8(a) seems to be a reasonable approach.  What is your procurement office recommending?

How about a sole-source single-award BPA against an 8(a) schedule contract?

Wouldn't GSA 8(a) STARS II be the ideal solution to your problem (except for the fact that it is considered BIC)?:

"The 8(a) STARS II GWAC (STARS II) is a competitively awarded, multiple-award, indefinite-delivery, indefinite-quantity contract. STARS II was authorized under the provisions of Section 8(a) of the Small Business Act 15 U.S.C. 637(a) and retains the 8(a) sole source, or “directed order,” authority found in FAR 19.8. STARS II resulted from a competitive 8(a) procurement, which was offered to and accepted into the SBA 8(a) program. Given that STARS II was established for exclusive participation among 8(a) contractors, the entire GWAC was accepted into the 8(a) program and all industry partners were verified by SBA as 8(a) eligible prior to GWAC award, as a result individual orders do not have to be offered and accepted into the 8(a) program and 8(a) eligibility of the industry partners has already been verified."

There are almost 800 8(a) IT service providers on the IDIQ.  

https://www.gsa.gov/technology/technology-purchasing-programs/governmentwide-acquisition-contracts/8a-stars-ii-governmentwide-acquisition-contract-gwac

Do you really need to create your own IDIQ? Could you just do individual task orders instead under an existing 8(a) BIC GWAC like 8(a) STARS, using either direct awards or logical follow-ons if necessary?

I'm assuming that by creating your own single-award IDIQ you expect to eliminate or streamline some of the requirements to award each task order. Are there other ways to achieve that same goal, maybe a single program acquisition strategy that allows for multiple task order awards using the same process?

I not recommending a specific course of action as I believe the facts related to the specific procurement would dictate the best approach.   The following references may be of help as to comparing the possibilities of a stand alone IDIQ, IDIQ TO under a FSS and BPA under a FSS......

https://interact.gsa.gov/blog/gsa-schedules-and-idiq-orders

https://interact.gsa.gov/node/349/information