Impending Budget Crisis

Whynot

With the upcoming elections, enormous deficit, government spending, the U.S. and world economies not recovering, I wonder if we may ever see another budget passed by congress. In anticipation of a prolonged funding crisis come this October 1st, with a possible Government shut down and no continuing resolutions, what actions should a Contractor and/or Government CO do now to lessen the impact to their programs or otherwise insulate their program?

In anticipation of a prolonged funding crisis come this October 1st, with a possible Government shut down and no continuing resolutions, what actions should a Contractor and/or Government CO do now to lessen the impact to their programs or otherwise insulate their program?

Define several tasks that can be funded with FY10 money that carries you well into FY11.

I don't think this year will be a problem. You're pessimistic and the reverse should happen - the public is upset with Congress and incumbents, the economy needs further stimulating, and the world expects us to play a major role in making improvements. I expect the worse being FY 11 is the same as FY10 in terms of spending

• 2 months later...
Define several tasks that can be funded with FY10 money that carries you well into FY11.

I don't think this year will be a problem. You're pessimistic and the reverse should happen - the public is upset with Congress and incumbents, the economy needs further stimulating, and the world expects us to play a major role in making improvements. I expect the worse being FY 11 is the same as FY10 in terms of spending

With the low yield on federal bonds, because investors know that equities aren't safe, the feds can borrow indefinitely. Now, why anyone would lend to someone who is never going to repay is another story. The government can't stimulate the economy, as ARRA has demonstrated, nor is that the role of government. We have entered a period of deleveraging, but the government doesn't know or won't acknowledge this reality.

• 3 months later...

Under a continuing resolution the prior year's budget is extended. Can new work be awarded during a continuing resolution that was not included in the prior year funding, or can only existing work from the prior year be extended?

Never fear the end is near.