Should government attorneys attend debriefings?

Posted by Vern Edwards, 06 December 2010 · 2,199 views

At the Nash & Cibinic Roundtable this past December 2 and 3 in Washington, DC, an issue came up that has bothered me for many years. The issue is the role of the government contract lawyer in the contracting process. Specifically, what role does the government contract lawyer play in debriefings of unsuccessful offerors? During a discussion of debriefings, one of the attendees identified herself as a government attorney and said that she always made a point of attending debriefings given by the contracting officers of her agency. I don?t remember the entire comment, but the impression that I got was that she did so in order to ensure that all went well.

The comment made my contracting officer blood boil. I oppose the practice of having government lawyers attend debriefings. The main reason is that it sends the wrong signal to the company that is being debriefed. If I go to a meeting with someone who is unhappy with me and bring my lawyer, it sends a signal (whether accurate or not) that I expect trouble and feel the need to have a counselor present. Another reason is that I don?t want any interruptions, interjections, note passing, whispering in my ear, or requests to caucus. Those things look bad. A debriefing is not supposed to be an interrogation, a negotiation, a debate, or an adversarial proceeding.

Of course, I am assuming that the CO is competent, that he or she understands the rules of the source selection process, understands how the source selection in question was conducted, knows the facts of the evaluation of the proposal in question, can explain the findings and conclusions of the evaluation team, and understands the basis for the source selection decision. If that is not the case, it raises the question of whether the CO should provide a face-to-face or telephonic debriefing. If the person responsible for the debriefing, the CO, cannot be trusted to do a good job, then perhaps a written debriefing, prepared or reviewed by an attorney, is the thing to do. But to send an incompetent CO into a debriefing armed with his or her lawyer does not strike me as a particularly intelligent course of action.

At one point during the Roundtable discussion, someone in the audience shouted out, ?What if the offeror brings an attorney?? So what? As a CO, I asked offerors on more than one occasion if they had an attorney and, if so, would they please bring him or her to the debriefing. Why? I respect attorneys for their ability to think clearly and be dispassionate. An attorney is likely to recognize and acknowledge that a source selection was conducted properly even when their client is climbing the walls. If we did a good job and if I could explain the job that we did, then there was nothing to worry about. In my last source selection as a government CO, the loser filed a protest with the GAO right away. I called the protester, asked them to attend a debriefing, and asked them to bring their lawyer. They brought Professor Gilbert J. Ginsburg of The George Washington University Law School, a renowned government contracts expert. At the debriefing I handed them a copy of our request for proposals, a copy of their proposal, our complete source selection file for their proposal, including the write-ups by the individual evaluators and the scores, and told them to go through the material and to ask any questions they had. I left them in the conference room. They called me about an hour later, thanked me, and said goodbye. The next day I received a copy of their communication with the GAO withdrawing their protest.

Would I meet with my attorney before a debriefing? Not unless I had a legal question. As a CO, I would not need advice about what to say and what not to say. I believe in full disclosure debriefings. I believe in giving the loser everything. If a protest is filed, the protester?s lawyer is going to get everything anyway, including the proposals of the other offerors, so why withhold? While as a CO I cannot release the proposals of the other offerors, I see no reason to withhold anything else. if we made a mistake I would rather be told and be given a chance to take corrective action before a protest is filed. Full disclosure shows no fear.

Don?t take this as dislike of attorneys. I work with them all the time and both like and admire most of the ones I meet. I have deep respect for the profession, which I consider to be admirable. But as I see it they and the CO have different roles to play in acquisition. If the attorney reviewed the source selection decision and found it to be legally sufficient, then he or she has played their part. Debriefing the losers is the CO?s role. If the CO is competent, then he or she will not need an attorney's services during the debriefings. If the CO is not competent, then a face-to-face or telephonic debriefing should be avoided at all costs. Having an attorney present will not make things go better.

Tags

April 2014

S M T W T F S
    20212223 24 2526

3 user(s) viewing

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

3 user(s) viewing

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users