Training programs

Worlbird

I'm working on my Masters degree project. I think I have decided to develop a training program for my agency. Do any of you have training programs you would be willing to share? I would also be interested in any milestones you have for new contracting staff.

I find the FAC C training to be a bit much for staff purchasing less than $ 150k.

Any help is appreciated!!!!!

Guest Vern Edwards

Why are you asking people to share their programs? If you're doing this as your master's project, don't you want to do original research to determine the knowledge and skills needed by people in your agency and then develop your own curriculum? Or is your plan to cut and paste from what other offices have done?

Why not start entirely from scratch, at least for your first draft? Isn't that how we learn and develop new ideas? Then you can check to see what you have planned that has already been done and make adjustments based on experience. Aren't you worried about being prematurely influenced by others, thereby impairing your ability to think originally?

Vern:

I understand your opinion however a lot of new ideas come from a combination of what others are doing. We are all one Federal government. I have no intention of cutting and pasting anyones programs.

I have researched quite a bit as well as have participated in the FAC C training. I do not think this training is of a lot of benefit to GS1105s who never purchase over the 150k limit. I believe the main focus for this series should be classes such as the FAR Boot Camp, Simplified Acquisition, classes on the set asides as well as classes on GSA. Classes that actual emphasis the tools to do the job expected. I also feel that cramming these classes to obtain a certification defeats the learning as the new learned tools are not given time to reap the benefits.

Thank you for your comments!!!!!!

Scott,

Part of the problem is that policy and other reviewers won't accept any "original" thoughts when it comes to contracts these days. They are so worried about protests or outside reviews that they pick the best work from the last few contracts and then distribute it as a template, refusing to approve anything that does not conform to that template. That even goes to awarding anything outside of the usual TO/DO from our family of ID/IQ contracts. Today I have to go through an entirely separate approval process just to award anything except one of those orders, such as a stand alone contract.

Vern,

I am not sure if this is pertinent, but in my master's research project, I was required to construct the project as a full thesis, with literature research and current information written, and approved by the thesis review committee, before I did my original research. Perhaps Worlbird's project has a similar requirement.

Guest Vern Edwards

dwgerard:

Yep, the old literature research. But the request in this case was not for literature on prior research. It was for "programs." Oh well, I understand Worlbird's position.

Vern:

I understand your opinion however a lot of new ideas come from a combination of what others are doing. We are all one Federal government. I have no intention of cutting and pasting anyones programs.

I have researched quite a bit as well as have participated in the FAC C training. I do not think this training is of a lot of benefit to GS1105s who never purchase over the 150k limit. I believe the main focus for this series should be classes such as the FAR Boot Camp, Simplified Acquisition, classes on the set asides as well as classes on GSA. Classes that actual emphasis the tools to do the job expected. I also feel that cramming these classes to obtain a certification defeats the learning as the new learned tools are not given time to reap the benefits.

Thank you for your comments!!!!!!

Pursuit of new ideas must be preceded by pursuit of basic knowledge of the FAR and of its day-to-day application. This cannot happen without an OJT program. Formal training, whether in the class or on the web, cannot be a substitute for reading the FAR and asking questions of knowledgeable journeymen 1102s.

Napolik,

I couldn't agree more about the need for OJT as part of a training program. Classroom training and reading just don't sink in and last unless students get to see and apply what they learned. The trick is finding real live OJT application for even a portion of everything that gets covered in training.