Cost for COVID-19 Testing

COVID-19 testing (screening tests) for onsite access to government facilities for unvaccinated contractors, who covers the cost of the testing when it (testing) is not provided at the government facility and the contractor has to seek out testing? Should the contractors employer be held responsible for covering the cost of testing. Or should the government cover the cost.  If contractor access to the government site is required who covers the cost?

20 minutes ago, WC79 said:

COVID-19 testing (screening tests) for onsite access to government facilities for unvaccinated contractors, who covers the cost of the testing?

Who is doing the testing?  Is there an existing contract that requires the contractor to access the facility?  If yes, what are the specific terms stated in the contract about access to the facility?   Does the public have access to the building and if so do they have to have screening tests?   

Bottom line a response to your questions requires additional details.

In addition to the previous thoughts, I would add that you need to look at the guidelines and FAQs on the OMB website [saferfederalworkforce.gov]-- if this is a contractor obligation for electing to assign unvaccinated employees to the contract, you will find that answer there.  I haven't re-read the guidelines and FAQs lately, but I am thinking that the biweekly testing for unvaccinated employees is the obligation of the employer -- but you should do your own reading of the guidelines and FAQs.  Remember, the guidelines and FAQs are incorporated into service contracts (and some other contracts) by the clause that was shared last September - October timeframe.

Edited by ji20874
added URL

If you work for DoD, take a look at Force Health Protection Guidance (Supplement23) Revision 3, Attachment 8, 20 December 2021.  It may be applicable to your situation.

For COVID-I9 testing of DoD contractor personnel with CRA, DoD Components will offer, if available, COVID-19 testing similar to that offered to DoD civilian employees at the DoD Component's expense and at no cost to the contractor personnel or the contractor.

Just now, WC79 said:

I've added a bit of information to the original topic. Who covers the cost (of testing)when testing is not provided onsite and the contractor has to seek out testing in order to gain access.

Let me see if I can give an example to help you understand what I was getting at.

Test is required as other posts have pointed out.  You have a contract that has terms in conditions in it.  Lets say the original contract prior to the COVID thing simply says "Contractor must comply with all requirements for entry into the building".   In this case I could see a CO saying that the costs of the tests are PROBABLY your responsibility.   Now if the contract was absolutely silent on anything related to access and CO has come to you and stated that you must test employees for access and you must do the tests with lots of other musts like provide results etc. then the musts MIGHT be considered a change in the contract requirements whereby you MIGHT have a case for requesting a equitable adjustment.

Bottom line it just depends on the specific facts related to your specific contract, if there is one and a whole bunch more.

Right, it depends.

Under some circumstances, it might be that the contractor employees pay for the tests.

Under other circumstances, it might be that the contractor will pay for the tests without specific reimbursement from the Government (already included in the contract price).

Under still other circumstances, it might be that the contractor will initially pay for the tests and then obtain reimbursement from the Government.

Under yet other circumstances, it might be that the contractor needs to negotiate a change proposal to cover these costs.

And there might still be other possibilities.

It depends.