The Wifcon Forums and Blogs

Greetings,

I am to give a presentation to my team on how to use FAR Parts 8, 12, 13, and 15 together. I'm trying to not re-invent the wheel. Was wondering if anyone had a presentation handy you would be willing to share or if you could direct me to some resources that might be helpful. Otherwise, I will start putting one together from scratch. Thank you!

Yeah, I'm wondering, too.

If you're in subpart 8.4, stay there -- don't bring in 12, 13, or 15.  See FAR 8.404(a).

Part 12 can only be used with parts 13, 14, or 15.  See FAR 12.102(c).

For 13 and 15, see FAR 13.106-2(b)(1).

I intend to highlight the major differences between them in regards to solicitation methods, dollar thresholds, competition requirements, evaluation methods etc. I'm supposed to speak to when/how you would use 15 and 12 together/13 and 12 together/8 and 12 together. Also, when you would not use them together. For instance, you wouldn't typically follow 13 and 15 procedures together on the same acquisition. 

14 hours ago, metrics said:

I'm supposed to speak to when/how you would use 15 and 12 together/13 and 12 together/8 and 12 together.

Reminder 👇

14 hours ago, ji20874 said:

Part 12 can only be used with parts 13, 14, or 15.  See FAR 12.102(c).

14 hours ago, metrics said:

I intend to highlight the major differences between them in regards to solicitation methods, dollar thresholds, competition requirements, evaluation methods etc.

Simply speaking:

FAR 12:

If commercial it shall be used - "12.102 Applicability. (a) This part shall be used for the acquisition of supplies or services that meet the definition of commercial items at 2.101." Other parts of the FAR do not apply to commercial acquisitions (12.102 (c)). Ex - FAR 49 doesn't apply to commercial terminations (12.403), no matter if you use it with 13, 14 or 15 procedures. 

If a company has what you need, you go commercial - Palantir_17-1465.Opinion.9-13-18.pdf (uscourts.gov)

FAR 13:

MPT through SAT/Single Source/RFQ/Quotations/None-Burdensome Eval/Comparative Analysis (if you treat it like 15 (factors/scoring), so will the legal system (GAO/COFC).

FAR 13.5

SAT through $7.5M (non-commercial)/$15M (commercial)RFQ/Quotations/Sole Source (FAR 6)/None-Burdensome Eval/Comparative Analysis (if you treat it like 15 (factors/scoring), so will the legal system (GAO/COFC).

FAR 14:

No associated thresholds/Sole Source/IFB/Offers/Opening of Bids/Price Alone/Two-Step Bidding. 

FAR 15:

No associated thresholds/Sole Source/RFP/Offers/LPTA/Trade-Off/Discussions/Negotiations/Competitive Range/Source Selection.

I'm supposed to speak to when/how you would use 15 and 12 together/13 and 12 together/8 and 12 together.

FAR 8 is commercial only.  So mentioning 12 together with 8 is confusing.  
Actually GSA based FSS MAS contracts on only commercial items a long time before FAR part 12 existed.

On 4/17/2021 at 7:48 AM, formerfed said:

FAR 8 is commercial only.  So mentioning 12 together with 8 is confusing.  

Maybe yes, maybe no.  In fact one could include discussion of FAR 13, 14 and 15 as well as 12 with 8 as you can add open market to a GSA order.  Why you can add open market items to a GSA FSS order.   Ref.   FAR 8.402(f)