1102 Continuing Education Recommendations

Hi everyone,

Figured I would try my luck with a career development question.

I am an 1102 with 6 years of experience at GSA and the Navy. I completed my MBA 3 years ago, and while I am pursuing my DAWIA III, I am craving additional professional development. From a career perspective, I am eyeing to eventually transition to a role which offers project management opportunities on the program side. 

My DAU instructors advocated for a PMP or a master’s in Project Management. Others have said adding IT qualifications or certs (ITIL etc.) could help in an assisted acquisition environment or in acquisition roles focused on IT requirements. While I work to finish my DAWIA III, what would you guys recommend? 

Thank you for your time! 

I personally think too much emphasis is placed on PMP certifications and project management, in general, outside of major systems.  That said, it is an essential requirement in many cases for personal advancement.

As far as IT, just a good working knowledge is all that’s required.  Things like ITIL are a waste IMO. I’ve got one certification and it hasn’t provided me anything more useful than what I could have learned on my own from reading.

One very important skill I think that’s overlooked in making effective presentations.  Knowing how to do that well makes you stand out.  I would take training and practice every opportunity you can.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 9:37 AM, Unauthorized commitment said:

From a career perspective, I am eyeing to eventually transition to a role which offers project management opportunities on the program side.

My advice would be to put your question to those who are or were recently in that role. I wouldn't put much credence in a contacting professional's perspective.

I've been supporting a program office over the last year and my experience continues to teach me how little I knew about program management and how narrow my perspective of acquisition was.

• 3 weeks later...

As an 1102, you can also get other DAU certs for instance BFM levels 1 and 2; IT level 1, Program Mgmt levels 1 and 2. I got my extra certs when I had some down time at work mostly all online with residential courses overlapped some of the CON level III electives.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 11:37 AM, Unauthorized commitment said:

From a career perspective, I am eyeing to eventually transition to a role which offers project management opportunities on the program side. 

Sometimes I wish there was a WIFPROJ.com.

If you are serious about becoming a project manager I don't think you could avoid the PMP if you wanted to.  It seems like many of them have it.  I'm a procurement person though, so take with a dose of salt.

• 2 weeks later...