Readability of Federal Solicitations

Don Mansfield

Readability of Federal Solicitations  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How readable should a Federal solicitation be?

• Grade 7-8 Reading Level
    • Grade 9-10 Reading Level
    • Grade 11-12 Reading Level
    • Grade 13-15 Reading Level (College)
    • Grade 16+ Reading Level (College Graduate)

Federal solicitations require boilerplate information that lowers readability, but if we are talking 'should' based on opinion: Grade 7-8 seems appropriate. This is based, in part, on the Department of Defense use of Flesch-Kincaid reading ease standards; the Plain Writing Act; and success with plain language contracts in industry.

In the Flesch reading-ease test 8th and 9th grade is considered plain English; 10th to 12th is considered fairly difficult to read.

The answer is context dependent.  Some requirements and specifications for systems (think aircraft or spacecraft design or quantum computing) require terminology that will naturally reduce readability  - I don’t think it is reasonable to assume the Government should write those solicitations at a Grade 7-8 reading level.

Ultimately, the Government should strive to be an attractive business partner and readability of solicitations is certainly part of that; however, I think one standard to rule them all would have second and third order effects that could reduce the accuracy of a solicitation in an attempt to enhance accessibility.

Guest PepeTheFrog

PepeTheFrog agrees with Jamaal Valentine and Matthew Fleharty. The technical specifications (SOW or "PWS") will necessarily be at a higher level, but everything else should be dumbed down as much as possible to the minimum level of 7-8. 

On 11/30/2018 at 5:59 AM, Matthew Fleharty said:

The answer is context dependent.  Some requirements and specifications for systems (think aircraft or spacecraft design or quantum computing) require terminology that will naturally reduce readability  - I don’t think it is reasonable to assume the Government should write those solicitations at a Grade 7-8 reading level.

Ultimately, the Government should strive to be an attractive business partner and readability of solicitations is certainly part of that; however, I think one standard to rule them all would have second and third order effects that could reduce the accuracy of a solicitation in an attempt to enhance accessibility.

Thanks, Matthew. Now when are you going to do my new Problem of the Day?

I think we as a profession have barely nibbled at the plain language buffet so far.

Here is a link to an example of plain language being used to explain comlicated stuff; Einstein's General Theory of Relaivity "using only the ten hundred words people use the most often":

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/the-space-doctors-big-idea-einstein-general-relativity 

20 hours ago, FAR-flung 1102 said:

I think we as a profession have barely nibbled at the plain language buffet so far.

Here is a link to an example of plain language being used to explain comlicated stuff; Einstein's General Theory of Relaivity "using only the ten hundred words people use the most often":

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/the-space-doctors-big-idea-einstein-general-relativity 

Loved it.

On 12/12/2018 at 12:56 PM, FAR-flung 1102 said:

I used to follow this author's web comics. 

I haven't followed it in a while to know if he still posts regularly, but his website is still active. https://xkcd.com/