Contract Duplication

Smurphy430

I have searched the forums extensively and found nothing specific to the following subject. I know from being a Governent contracting professional that duplication is frowned upon. However, when I try to defend my position I have nothing I have nothing. My only defence is that it would cause increased cost in monitoring, administration, and not make good business sence.

What do you tell the section that just wants their own contract that is word for word as the already awarded ID/IQ?

I need something specifically prohibiting the practice...

Thank you in advance, Steve

60 Minutes /100 =0.6 .60 of 1 Hour is 36 Minutes = $44.50 at $1.24 per Minute

12.60 Hours Overtime (Keith)

TDY Trip to Germany was from 01/13/2013 to 01/18/2013 Authorizes 8 Hours for Overtime.

4.60 Hours OT Not authorized.

Guest Vern Edwards

I do not know of any statute or governmentwide regulation that would preclude the award of a separate (duplicate) contract. I'm not saying it would be a good idea, just that I don't know of any rule against it.

just guessing, Steve,

but maybe your customer has some reservations with the existing IDIQ that they haven't told you.

Are they wanting an identical contract with the same contractor ?

This is a situation that calls for some CO leadership, not for a COR to negotiate, methinks.

Agreed, no, no reservations it is a control thing..."they" fell that more control over the contractor would give them greater latitude for personal services. We CORs are interfering with scope creeping. Will see if the CO has the leadership skills necessary to make a decision.

Unfortunately, this is one of the systemic issues in DoD...and one of the reasons I left the contracting agency. While I was perfectly whiling to prevent this as a CO, leadership would allow it under the auspices of customer satisfaction.

Ah well....

This debate happens all the time at my agency. We try to find a suitable IDIQ and some are pretty darn close but either the requesting program office finds some small detail that they insist deserves a new IDIQ just for them. Or else the Program office that requested the awarded IDIQ insists they want no one else using their contract because the new program office may confuse the contractor about quality control or other processes that they have him accustomed. Plus it will eat up the ceiling and cause them an earlier recompete. We have level of service agreements that require we keep our program offices satisfied so we usually just conduct a new solicitation.