Gundog213

Jim

I have a question about services. 

I need to pay an editor of a scientific publication. The service selected the editor and need to figure out a method of payment (no purchase card) and a procurement method.

I'm glad they’ve asked this early in the game but I’m honestly a bit confused. Should we compete the position? Do a sole source with options strictly for the position for X time and then when a new person is selected rehash? I’ve never done personal services before and it’s wracking my brain.

You are buying a service, not filling a position.  Focus on what needs to be accomplished and assume it's not a personal service until proven otherwise - personal services contracts require very high-level approval so don't even let that term enter your brain unless the requiring activity has already expended monumental effort in that regard.

On 7/31/2023 at 1:19 PM, Jim said:

Do a sole source with options

You did not mention dollar value.  Agencies always confuse this but it might be a "single source" procurement depending on the dollar value.   Reference FAR 13.106-1(b).  Keep it simple if below the SAT and simply write up a memo to the file as to why the single source is the one.  Remember "sole source" and FAR part 6 come into play for needs over the SAT.  Do not forget if over $25K you will still need to do a synopsis in SAM.gov.

On 7/31/2023 at 1:19 PM, Jim said:

a new person is selected

Is this why you are calling it "personal services" as you usually have an editor on staff but do not have one right now?  If so I since it is a single need for specific editing of a journal article will the need really have all the characteristics of FAR Part 37.104?  If so there might be an alternative?  Your minimal details suggest probably not but all the same have you considered FAR subpart 37.112?