Vern's Status

I'm afraid I have some bad news about Vern. He injured his one good eye a few weeks ago and it has become very difficult and time-consuming for him to write on a computer. He tried dictation, but it was just too much of a hassle. From now on, the little writing that he can do he will do for the Nash & Cibinic Report. He will share those articles with Bob to post on Wifcon.

I think we owe him a debt of gratitude for all that he has shared in the discussion forums and on the analysis page. I can't think of anyone who has freely shared their knowledge as much as Vern. I ask that we keep intellectual standards high in our discussions, ask good questions, back up our claims with facts, etc. In other words, follow Vern's example.

Vern will probably still read the forum discussions now and then. I'll make sure he reads this thread in case you want to wish him well.

Vern,

I’m so sorry to hear the news.  You will be sorely missed here.  I don’t know of anyone that contributed to helping individuals and promoting professionalism in our field that you.  Despite limited personal contact (two classes of yours I attended and a lunch at the Hyatt Capital Hill going back over 40 years), I consider you as a long term friend and close colleague from all the communications over the years.  I wish you well and thank you for all you’ve done.

Stan

My journey with Vern Edwards started somewhere around 45 years ago.  The catalyst was meetings of the Portland/Vancouver Chapter of NCMA.  Our association was brief as careers took us in different directions.  He along with others in the Chapter were an inspiration.  Individuals such as Don Tucker of Tektronix and Jim Rivera an independent businessman are included.  Even though that inspiration was tested at times, Vern, along with these and others, set me on a professional path that I enjoy to this day.  A path where I hope I might exceed expectations of being the best acquisition professional I can.  My days now concentrate on attempting to pass down the knowledge, skills and abilities their inspiration helped me gain to others.  I hope that I can continue in some degree that replicates only that which Vern demonstrated. 

Thank you Vern I have appreciated your career it helped inspire me and I look forward to your continued contributions, even if seldom as indicated, they will always have immense value.

Don - Thank you for the update. 

Vern - Thank you for all you have done over the years. Sharing knowledge, info and keeping conversations on the right track. I am still fairly new to the career field and have benefitted greatly from your insight. You will be greatly missed and of course you have my best wishes for towards health. Take care.

One more thing - I have saved down some of your comments over the years, that I found to be very insightful or down right hilarious (mostly this one). I have attached in your honor sir. 

Vern - Duh.PNG

Vern - Just let it die..PNG

Vern - Mars Mission.PNG

All the best Vern. I met you briefly at an event several years ago...thank you for your contributions to this career field. One quick story, literally from this week.

My political boss, who is brand new to government, noted that the proposals we received in response to one of major programs seemed to regurgitate the RFP back to us. I said, "Oh yes, this endemic in the field, the essay writing contest." And then I pulled out an article I have that you wrote in 1994 and said, "It's been a problem for awhile."

(Also note the RFP was written before I joined the organization!)

Mr. Edwards, I am reminded of you in nearly every enlightened book I read these days.  For example, I thought of your contributions to this forum when recently rereading this passage from Haidt, Jonathan and Lukianoff, Greg:

It is not acceptable for a scholar to say, 'You have shown me convincing evidence that my claim is wrong, but I still feel that my claim is right so I'm sticking with it.'  When scholars cannot rebut or reconcile disconfirming evidence, they must drop their claims, or else lose the respect of their colleagues.  As scholars challenge one another within a community that shares norms of evidence and argumentation, and that holds one another accountable for good reasoning, claims get refined, theories gain nuance, and our understanding of truth advances.

See The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas are Setting up a Generation for Failure.  Penguin Press, 2018.

Your contributions to the cause of scholarship here will be missed.  Those of us that do not live by the whimsical, postmodern standards of the day are all going to have to step up and learn how to do this right, for truth's sake.

Vern, thank you for your contributions.  All of us from the contracting community who have benefited from you (and those who did and didn't realize it) thank you.  

You lit thousands of torches in the contracting community.  Now it's on us to start - or continue - to light the torches. 

Vern,

I only met you once when you came out to DoDEA in Alexandria, VA for a FAR Bootcamp course. Between those interactions over the span of a week or so and the insight that you have provided here on Wifcon, you have had more positive impact on my contracting career than any other person. Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, Vern, for all the insights you shared not only with me in response to some of my many questions, but the wisdom and experience you've shared with the larger group on other discussions as well. For background, I switched careers about 3.5 years ago, and entered the Government Contracting weeks before the pandemic sent many of us on a one-way ticket to remote work world. So it became incumbent upon me to learn as a much as I could wherever I could, and fortunately, I found Wifcon. Because of you, Carl, Don, Bob, Joel, and others here, I'm a smarter contracting professional. 

I still check the Recommended Reading thread for reading suggestions (sidenote, just finished A History of Government Contracting). I've also shared your articles with colleagues. On more than one occasion, I've referred to you as a GovCon guru. 

All the best in your recovery! 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I too am very thankful for all Vern has done for this community over the many years - thanks Vern!!!  I only met you in person once, but have gained uncounted knowledge for all the free counsel you share. 

Vern came and spoke to my division of about 100 contracting staff (mostly 1102s) and didn't even charge us a penny, because quoting Vern "that way you can't complain you didn't get what you paid for."  LOL  We've put on the conference every year since then (some 18 years ago) and that one was still the best by far - thanks to Vern and also Professor Nash's participation as well.  

• 1 month later...