What Market Research is needed for a single-award BPA order? Any?

I am in the midst of placing an order (for software development) against a single award BPA, FAR 8.405-3 (C) (1).  A part of the process is documenting what market research I have conducted.   It has been a very long time since I've done this type of thing.  I am now wondering - what type of market research do I actually *have to* do, given the procedures I am using?   Any?  A large portion of market research is about competition, commercial items, small business  - all of that was taken care of when the BPA was (competitively) established. 

My impression is that my market research for order is basically stating my requirement is in scope of the BPA - "I have a need, and so I am using this BPA - which was specifically created to meet this exact need. The End."  

Is a part of market research explaining why I am using this BPA to get software development services, rather than any of the other innumerable sources available to me?   I have my reasons, but I don't think I actually *have to* write down those reasons or justify my decision. (I could have met this requirement via  - using some other agency contract/IDEV,  a bilateral mod to add scope of my project to an existing order for software development,  using one of many different IT GWACs/acquisition vehicles, etc.)

My impression is that my market research for order is basically stating my requirement is in scope of the BPA - "I have a need, and so I am using this BPA - which was specifically created to meet this exact need. The End."  

Unless your agency has a requirement for more extensive research, this satisfies everything in my opinion. 

9 hours ago, General.Zhukov said:

A part of the process is documenting what market research I have conducted.

We don’t have a lot of information to provide a specific response. For example, the dollar value is unknown. How complex is the software development? What is the length of the contract going to be? Was the single-award BPA awarded by your office or is this an interagency acquisition? What rule governs the process (e.g., FAR 10.001, agency supplement, local policy, leadership’s expectation, some ordering guide)?

If FAR 10.001 is applicable, it provides what the agency ‘shall’ do. See FAR 10.002, which outlines procedures and mentions orders at FAR 10.002(b)(1)).

Keep in mind, market research under FAR part 10 is conducted, in part, to arrive at the most suitable approach to acquiring supplies and services. “The extent of market research will vary, depending on such factors as urgency, estimated dollar value, complexity, and past experience.”

Most likely you have to decide what rule in FAR part 10 applies, if any, and then comply with any market research requirements under FAR subpart 8.4, as applicable.

First, you conduct or use market research (adequate information) that leads you to potential solutions such as the BPA. However, you don’t necessarily know the BPA is the most suitable approach so you continue as appropriate. For example, the BPA may not be the best option - given the circumstances today. Now, maybe this is below SAT and minimal research is necessary - you don’t say. Thus, the best I can say, is identify the governing rule—if any—satisfy it, document your compliance, and move on. See FAR 4.801(b).