Millenials and Gen Z, Is the World a Better Place Because of You?

WifWaf

Or, were you told the world is a better place because you're in it.

I am a Millennial and I am very curious about my peers' upbringings.  Were you ever taught to put hard work into doing things, e.g., being right and moral, or were your caretakers and teachers assuming you were already a righteous and moral person that society was just waiting to corrupt, you think?

I am also a millennial, but feel I am also the exception to the normal way my peers were raised. I was taught the world I come into was only present because of those who come before. I would have to choose to maintain or to make it better. If I choose neither, it could only become worse. There were no trophies for all, “your perfect the way you are” speeches or “you can be anything you want to be” lines used. More along the lines of “you deserve nothing” and “you can sometimes earn things you will never receive.” I have refined the thoughts as I got older, but those are how they were meant no matter the words used.

A person who walks out the door each morning thinking they deserve something is unhappy, unproductive and bitter each night. Sadly, that describes most I was raised around.

“A man wrapped up in himself makes a very small bundle.” – Benjamin Franklin