Getting started Subcontracting as a large business (in a weird spot)

Hi all,

I currently help manage presales/proposal responses for an international company, primarily UK-based. They're trying to grow in the US, and they're looking at trying to expand into federal contracting. We have a large list of UK public sector work, but I explained to them that the US gov wants to see US past performance. I suggested that we look into subbing as a way to gain federal experience because we could not feasibly win on our own yet.

My question is this: how do we find subcontracting opportunities? Is it a matter of meeting with primes and contacting them outside of these websites? We are in a weird spot because we can't classify as a small business (due to our legal structure) nor do we meet any 8a/Hubzone/etc requirements. I have looked on subnet and sam.gov but am struggling to find a concentrated view of subcontracting opportunities that we could reasonably go after. 

With that in mind, where would you recommend I get started? And is this even worth pursuing for us? 

Thank you in advance for any help - it's greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Christopher

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 9:10 AM, ContractingNoob said:

My question is this: how do we find subcontracting opportunities?

On subcontracting sourcing I can not think of concentrated view of actual opportunities beyond SAM and Subnet of SBA.   Of course in a internet search you will find entities that assist for a fee, etc.    Have you considered social media and possibly entities that provide for networking via professional get togethers.   As mentioned in another post  a couple that I know of, Linkedin ("GS-1102 Contracting Series" & "Government Contracting Community") and National Contract Management Association which has a concentration on the Federal sector.

I have assisted UK-based companies before. The first thing I would want to understand is the company's value-proposition. I.e., why should a large prime contractor want to subcontract with you?