Here is the dumbest question - what steps to take as a prime to solicit proposals for a subcontract?

DE13151719

We're a small business with our first prime contract. We had a subcontractor we were planning on working with on our prime contract, and DCMA denied our sole source justification. 

So let's say our next step is to issue an RFP to do a competitive award for a subcontract. I understand issuing RFPs, reviewing proposals, and putting together our subcontract package. What avenue do we actually use to solicit proposals from potential subcontractors for this? 

You have several options available to you. Off the top of my head, you can --

1. Call the possible subcontractors and see if they are interested in submitting a proposal in response to your RFP. If yes, obtain a point of contact. Send the RFP to that PoC.

2. Send an email to the CEO or President or whatever PoC you have for each potential subcontractor, inviting a show of interest in bidding. Upon receipt of a show of interest, send the RFP.

Reminder: you're not the government. You don't need to solicit all sources - you only need to solicit more than one. But the better practice is to solicit as many potentially responsive bidders as you can.

6 hours ago, DE13151719 said:

We're a small business with our first prime contract. We had a subcontractor we were planning on working with on our prime contract, and DCMA denied our sole source justification.

1. Was FAR 52.244-2 included in your prime contract? Does it apply to the contemplated subcontract type, etc. Can we assume your company does not have an approved purchasing system?

2. What is the basis for DCMA having any contract right to "deny your sole source justification?" Perhaps a contracting officer might not approve the subcontract for consent per 52.244-2, but I never heard of DCMA having any right to be involved with denying any subcontract. What are the prime contract terms and conditions that establish such a right?

3. Whatever your written procedures say about how to accomplish solicitations and source selection is what your should do.    

19 hours ago, DE13151719 said:

We're a small business

Your brief description of your situation makes me think of Procurement Technical Assistance Centers (PTAC).  One of the primary purposes of PTAC's is to provide FREE assistance to small business's that are in the position you are.   A PTAC, if you find it to be a good fit for you, could be a valuable resource through out your entire prime experience. 

Here is a link to find and explore abilities of the PTAC near you.   Checking a PTAC out might just be a good thing for you - https://www.aptac-us.org/

12 hours ago, Neil Roberts said:

1. Was FAR 52.244-2 included in your prime contract? Does it apply to the contemplated subcontract type, etc. Can we assume your company does not have an approved purchasing system?

2. What is the basis for DCMA having any contract right to "deny your sole source justification?" Perhaps a contracting officer might not approve the subcontract for consent per 52.244-2, but I never heard of DCMA having any right to be involved with denying any subcontract. What are the prime contract terms and conditions that establish such a right?

3. Whatever your written procedures say about how to accomplish solicitations and source selection is what your should do.    

Neil,

Thanks for your response.

1. Our contract does has 52.244-2 and it applies to the subcontract type, we do not have an approved purchasing system.

2. I was under the same impression - I've never worked with DCMA for subcontract approval. In our specific instance, our contracting officer delegated certain administrative duties to DCMA at contract award, pursuant to FAR 42.302(a)(51) - "Consent to the placement of subcontracts." In fact, my ACO said that they rarely are the source of permission of consent to subcontract which is why it seems they have more stringent requirements. He said that almost NEVER accept sole source justification, so at this point we'll be seeking out other companies for solicitations.

25 minutes ago, C Culham said:

Your brief description of your situation makes me think of Procurement Technical Assistance Centers (PTAC).  One of the primary purposes of PTAC's is to provide FREE assistance to small business's that are in the position you are.   A PTAC, if you find it to be a good fit for you, could be a valuable resource through out your entire prime experience. 

Here is a link to find and explore abilities of the PTAC near you.   Checking a PTAC out might just be a good thing for you - https://www.aptac-us.org/

Thank you. I've been in touch with our PTAC on other matters and didn't consider their assistance in this instance. 

1 hour ago, DE13151719 said:

He said that almost NEVER accept sole source justification, so at this point we'll be seeking out other companies for solicitations.

DE, The delegation is ok. The "almost never" general position or Government experience seems inappropriate or questionable. Regardless, your company's justification rationale is unknown. I would hope you include the attempted source in the competitive bidding solicitations, which might be very difficult if the non-competitive justification was solid.