Applicability of 52.219-14 Limitations on Subcontracting

Long time reader first time poster.

I am seeking guidance on the applicability of 52.219-14 Limitations on Subcontracting under the scenario outlined below. The clause is included by reference in our procurement software, i.e. included in an non-editable template, but I question if its truly applicable. Here are the facts:

1. Solicitation is 100% Small Business set-aside

2. This is a Commercial Item RFQ for Services

3. Awards are for Multiple Award BPAs

4. Individual calls are limited to $150K

I question if 52.219-14 is applicable for the following reasons:

1. FAR 19.508 prescribes 52.219-14 "if any portion of the requirement is to be set aside for small business and the contract amount is expected to exceed $150,000."

2. With a BPA, wouldn't this only apply to calls over $150,000?

3. Since our BPA is limited to calls under $150,000, wouldn't the limitation be moot?

Our policy group attends since the aggregate of all calls could exceed $150,000 over the life of the BPA, the clause should therefore be included. In other words, they are "lumping" unknown orders to get to a theoretical $150,000 threshold. I look at this differently, as a "splitter", where each call stands alone as its own contract and thus the clause would only be applicable for calls exceeding $150,000. And since we limit calls to under $150,000, the clause would therefore never be applicable.

Appreciate your perspectives. Thanks.

Assuming you are asking about BPAs under FAR Part 13, your policy group is wrong. See FAR 13.303-4(B):

"Unless a clause prescription specifies otherwise (e.g., see 22.305(a), 22.605(a)(5), or 22.1006), if the prescription includes a dollar threshold, the amount to be compared to that threshold is that of any particular order under the BPA."

Guest Vern Edwards

The limitation applies only to certain contracts, such as one awarded as a result of a set-aside. Was the BPA established pursuant to a set-aside?

Assuming you are asking about BPAs under FAR Part 13, your policy group is wrong. See FAR 13.303-4(B):

"Unless a clause prescription specifies otherwise (e.g., see 22.305(a), 22.605(a)(5), or 22.1006), if the prescription includes a dollar threshold, the amount to be compared to that threshold is that of any particular order under the BPA."

Yes, this is a BPA under Part 13. The only threshold we reference is one limiting calls to under $150K. Thanks for the reference, think this concludes it for me.