Newly Appointed Contracting Officer - Tips of the Trade?

agraham15

I've recently received my Contracting Officer's Warrant...and although I feel more than experienced enough to make sound business decisions during the contract award/administration process, I wanted to see if there's any seasoned Contracting Officers out there with tips of the trade.

Do you have any specific areas to look out for during the contract review/award process?

What do you feel defines an effective Contracting Officer?

Any other information/tips shared would be great...thanks--

Guest Vern Edwards

Here are some of the traits that I think makes for an "effective" CO, which is a minimal standard. (I have higher standards for expert, excellent, superb, brilliant, etc.)

1. Pride in competence, but not in title or position.

2. Deep knowledge of the rules. That means mastery of the regulations that govern the specific work that you do. For example, if you conduct source selections, then you should know FAR Part 15 and your agency supplement and any internal policy and guidance like the back of your hand. It also means that you have an educated layman's familiarity with and understanding of the relevant case law. A CO with deep knowledge does not run to the legal office to ask what the rules are.

3. Deep background knowledge. That means, for example, that if you conduct source selections you have studied at least one good text about organizational decision-making; if you price non-commercial contracts you are familiar with cost accounting, the cost accounting standards, the contract cost principles, and profit policy; if you buy commercial items you are familiar with commercial pricing practices and strategies. When I say "familiar with," I mean that as a layman you could engage in conversation with a professional and not make a fool of yourself.

4. Procedural mastery and commitment to procedural efficiency. That means that you know how to do things properly and that you consistently do so successfully and with the least possible expenditure of human and capital resources. You don't spend resources unnecessarily just to avoid criticism.

5. The ability to reason logically and to reach conclusions that are both valid and true, to evaluate the conclusions of others, to write well, and to speak to a group confidently, clearly, and persuasively.

6. The exercise of sound judgment when advising and representing clients. ("Client" is the proper word. True professionals don't say "customers" and don't treat the people they support like customers. They treat them like clients. That means that you are committed to the best possible outcome for them, but that you do not treat them like they are always right.)

7. The exercise of professional caution when offering professional advice and opinions to peers. Honesty, frankness, and courage when dealing with superiors.

8. A commitment to do good work and to reject shoddy work from subordinates.

9. A commitment to mentoring, teaching, and developing subordinates. A commitment to rid the government of lazy and incompetent subordinates.

10. A commitment to life-long study on your own time. An acknowledgement that you will never know enough, but a commitment to try.

11. A commitment to honesty and to preservation of the public trust. Refusal to do anything at work that you would not willingly and fearlessly reveal to an inspector general or The Washington Post.

12. Finally, if you agree with 1 - 11 above, a commitment to refuse to stay in an organization that treats you like a clerk and to go to an organization, government or private sector, that will treat you like a professional.

Vern - Just like your writings in 2005 about excellencce in contracting, this latest will become a Word document and be posted on my office wall to inspire me to be the best. With your permission, and acknowledging you as the author, may I share your post with other 1102s who are not registered on WIFCON?

One more thing - I would be interested in your traits for those who are "expert, excellent, superb, brilliant, etc".