Can a task order issued on GSA FSS have a POP beyond the expiration of the GSA K?

Can a task order issued on GSA FSS have a period of performance (POP) beyond the expiration of the GSA Contract? Like if the GSA Contract expires in 2013, is it possible to make an award for a task order in 2011 that has a POP consisting of a base year and four option years, meaning it will expire in 2016?

No, you can't have options on a task order than extend past the term of the Schedule contract. This is from the GSA site on ordering:

Options may be included on orders placed against GSA Multiple Award Schedule (MAS) contracts, provided that the options are clearly stated in the requirement and are evaluated as part of the ordering activity's best value determination. Such options may be exercised on GSA Schedule contract orders, provided that:

Funds are available;

The requirement covered by the option fulfills an existing government need;

Prior to exercising an option, the ordering activity ensures that it is still in the government's best interest; i.e., that the option is the most advantageous method of fulfilling the government's need, price and other factors considered; and

The options do not extend beyond the period of the Schedule contract, including option year periods.

No, you can't have options on a task order than extend past the term of the Schedule contract. This is from the GSA site on ordering:

formerfed,

Thank you for the quote. Can you provide the link? Also, after reading your answer, I searched for it on gsa.gov, the only thing on the same topic that I could find was this, see http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/104450 which states:

"14. Variable Contract Periods

Generally, GSA Schedules will no longer have a prescribed beginning and ending date. The Schedule periods will be continuous, and will contain contracts with contract periods that commence on the Date of Award (DOA) and expire in five years (exclusive of any options) from the DOA."

I am not sure how to reconcile your quote with this quote. Can you help me understand?

A CO can award a task order against the GSA Schedule that has option periods that extend beyond the current term of the vendor's FSS contract. However, the CO cannot EXERCISE an option if the underlying schedule has expired. Read the quote FormerFed posted carefully

formerfed,

Thank you for the quote. Can you provide the link? Also, after reading your answer, I searched for it on gsa.gov, the only thing on the same topic that I could find was this, see http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/104450 which states:

"14. Variable Contract Periods

Generally, GSA Schedules will no longer have a prescribed beginning and ending date. The Schedule periods will be continuous, and will contain contracts with contract periods that commence on the Date of Award (DOA) and expire in five years (exclusive of any options) from the DOA."

I am not sure how to reconcile your quote with this quote. Can you help me understand?

Govt - There is a difference between a Schedule and a Schedule Contract. Our schedules (yes, I'm with GSA) run continuous without an end date. The contracts awarded under the schedules program however, are a different story. They are awarded as a 5yr contract with 3-5yr option periods, so they could last up to 20 years.

To address the original question, the link provided previously is correct, you can award a BPA under a schedule contract past the current expiration date if there are additional options available for that contract. If you have a question concerning the availability of additional options, you should contact the Contracting Officer that administers that contract. They could easily get that information for you.

Hope this helps.