Loaning government property

vmatthews

My office has a requirement to determine the best/most appropriate way to allow for government property (flight line equipment) to be placed at various civilian airports. The equipment, valued over the SAT threshold, will be maintained IAW military standards for preventive maintenance by each airport. The airports, in turn, will be able to use the equipment in their daily operations. Discussions with the airports indicate that there will be no cost to the government.

We have done research to determine what would be the proper way to allow for this arrangement, but have not found an acceptable method.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My office has a requirement to determine the best/most appropriate way to allow for government property (flight line equipment) to be placed at various civilian airports. The equipment, valued over the SAT threshold, will be maintained IAW military standards for preventive maintenance by each airport. The airports, in turn, will be able to use the equipment in their daily operations. Discussions with the airports indicate that there will be no cost to the government.

We have done research to determine what would be the proper way to allow for this arrangement, but have not found an acceptable method.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I've just prepared a no cost loan agreement. The important things to include are the respective responsibilites of each party, including identifying liabilities should various thinmgs happen - equipment stolen, damaged, needs repairs, etc.

I don't think that the FAR would apply to the arrangement that you described, as it does not sound like an acquisition as defined at FAR 2.101. The Government wouldn't be obtaining goods or services--it is just providing property to the airport who will be responsible for preventive maintenance.

Guest Vern Edwards

Why do you want to put the equipment at airports? Do the airports have government contracts for some purpose? If so, do it pursuant to FAR Part 45. If the equipment "loan" is not associated with contracts, then formerfed's idea is probably the way to go. Or maybe a grant or intergovernmental agreement.

• 2 weeks later...