Over and Above Effort

amthomf

Scenario:

You have a Contract that requires over and above (O&A) effort to be administered IAW DFARs 217.77.

Question:

Once the ceiling amount of the O&A effort is established and the contract is awarded, what type of funds commitment, as it relates to O&A, does the government have to make at time of award? Furthermore, will the price the O&A CLIN be the ceiling amount, with the obligation amount being zero?

Observation:

I believe O&A is often being misused to accomplish, what should have been, ?known requirements? at the time of award and is justified by SOW statements and the tailoring of DFARs 252.217-7028. Also, please feel free to provide any advice or lessons learned when administering O&A effort.

I'll take a stab at this:

What type of funds: Don't know, what type of funds are on the contract? Is the change fiscally in scope?

Will the price the O&A CLIN be the ceiling amount, with the obligation amount being zero: That is how I would process it; however you may want to fund some of it (much like a UCA).

I'll take a stab at this:

What type of funds: Don't know, what type of funds are on the contract? Is the change fiscally in scope?

Will the price the O&A CLIN be the ceiling amount, with the obligation amount being zero: That is how I would process it; however you may want to fund some of it (much like a UCA).

3600 Funds

Yes, effort is in scope - not sure what fiscally in scope means "bonifide need"?

Why would I fund some of it? O&A is for effort unknow at time of award.

What I meant by fiscally in scope: Does the work to be performed fall within the purpose of the funding. If you are doing repair work that is part of the T&E, then you probably are ok; assuming those funds are still available for new obligations (i.e. year 1 or 2). If you are doing repair work that isn't part of the T&E, then you probably should be using O&M or possibly procurement funds.

Why fund part of it: If it is going to take a while to definitize the action, then your contractor may want to receive payment for some of the work that has been performed.