RFI or Sources Sought?

Jed

Depending on the agency, these terms may be used synonymously. But, I don't believe they are.

When I read FAR PART 5 (specifically FAR 5.205a), a "Sources Sought" is an advance notice typically generated through the GPE to communicate to industry the Government's potential interest in a specific R&D program. These are used only when Market Research doesn't already tell the story that competition exists....at least that's how I read it.

RFI's are a FAR SUBPART 15.2 product - no set format - that is posted on the GPE via a "Special Notice" (FAR 15.201d points me to FAR 5.205c). The intent isn't necessary to see if there are sources out there interested in competing, but rather to pulse industry in the context of price, delivery, etc for planning purposes. In fact, the provision that corresponds with an RFI states that a contract award is not intended.

I would go even further by stating that neither one of these are technically a "synopsis". With the term "contract action" defined in FAR PART 5 as something resulting in a "contract" (defined in FAR 2.101) - and the term "contract action" used purposely throughout those sections and subsections in relation to a "synopsis", "synopses", "synopsize", etc - that things like a sources sought and an RFI are not (technically) a synopsis as they do not result in a contract......

I'm usually 66% right 100% of the time.....comments? Corrections? All are welcome and encouraged.

Guest Vern Edwards

A "sources sought synopsis" is an announcement that the government is looking for sources for (firms able to provide) something or other. (GAO has used the term "sources sought synopsis" in 17 of its decisions, most recently in November 2010 and going back to 1977.The ASBCA and the old GSBCA have also used it. So have the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the Court of Federal Claims. The term has appeared numerous times in the Federal Register. If it's good enough for them it ought to be good enough for the rest of us.)

An RFI is just what the name indicates, a request for information. It could be for any kind of information. I have never heard of an RFI being called a synopsis.

A "sources sought synopsis" is an announcement that the government is looking for sources for (firms able to provide) something or other. (GAO has used the term "sources sought synopsis" in 17 of its decisions, most recently in November 2010 and going back to 1977.The ASBCA and the old GSBCA have also used it. So have the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the Court of Federal Claims. The term has appeared numerous times in the Federal Register. If it's good enough for them it ought to be good enough for the rest of us.)

An RFI is just what the name indicates, a request for information. It could be for any kind of information. I have never heard of an RFI being called a synopsis.

I think we then agree that an RFI and Sources Sought are two different things.

And (although I'm slow), I believe I'm tracking with how a Sources Sought can technically be termed a "synopsis" since it is type of an advance notice specified in FAR 5.205 that is posted on the GPE of a pending "contract action".

Thanks again for the help!

Here's an actual example where an RFI and Sources Sought were both used on the same contract. The agency planned on doing a study but didn't know the extent of data already existing on the subject. They did an RFI seeking information on the volume and types of data that companies are aware of. They used that to prepare a SOW and planned the acquisition. As part of the planning, they did a Source Sought notice to determine how many sources were interested, the level of experience and qualifications, and whether it might be suitable as a small business set-aside.

Jed,

whenever I see "Sources Sought," two things come to mind.

Maybe the contracting office is looking to do a Sole Source, and wants to give industry a heads-up early on, rather than getting blindsided after they write their J&A by the dozens of firms that can do the job faster, better and cheaper than the "sole source."

or

Maybe they are looking to do something unrestricted, but want to give Small Businesses, or other categories of preference-eligible SB's, a chance to let them know of their capabilities.

Truth be told, if the CS or CO is good at market research and Google, they can find a large business who will do just about anything, if there's a buck to be made. So I don't think that "Sources Sought" notices are looking for responses from BAH or GE; they are looking for the niche operator.