What are you reading?

Guest Vern Edwards

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished the first Spenser book of the post-Parker era, "Lullaby." Robert Parker died last year, but Spenser will live on in authorised books by another author. It was actually very faithful to the style and tone of the series, even, if I dare say so, better than Parker was doing in his last few books. I got the impression that he was dialing it in towards the end, and this book was a refreshing rejuvenation of the series.

Guest Vern Edwards

Julia Childs, "Mastering the Art of French Cooking," Volume I, pp. 399 - 404. I'm going to make cassoulet de porc et de mouton (et de saucisse et de canard) this weekend to welcome the arrival of autumn weather. My wife is on call in case I get in trouble, but I'm determined to do it myself. It will take three days. (I can do this.)

• 7 months later...

The Rules of the Game: Jutland and British Naval Command

by Andrew Gordon.

After re-reading some books on the battle, most recently Castles of Steel; Britain, Germany, and the Winning of the Great War at Sea, by Robert Massie, Gordon's work goes deeply vertical into the cultural underpinnings.

Don't Hate Running - A novel by Lawrrence Rodriguez - - My wife's cousin wrote his first book, I finally get to read it as she is done, and even though I am not a runner, she was always chuckling while she was reading so I hope it is a book that I can't put down. A good laugh is always appreciated for an escape from contracting.

Just finished The Human Division by John Scalzi.

It is the continuing story started by Old Man's War -- a science fiction novel about the training and deployment of a future soldier (similar to Starship Troopers, for those who might know Heinlein). The catch is that all recruits must be at least 75 years old, and they must agree to leave Earth for their term of service and, instead of retiring after service, they get to colonize planets.

What I like about Scalzi is his breezy writing style and witty dialog. His characters generally are well-rounded and engaging.

Good stuff.

• 10 months later...

Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Miracles and Massacres by Glenn Beck

Both for fun. The first is sheer fantasy and the second is true stories about moments in time that either changed history or something amazing occurred that changed the way the United States evolved. Good reads, both.