What are you reading?

Guest Vern Edwards

Guest Vern Edwards

This is purely a social question. Something to get our minds off acquisition.

If you are reading any book this week, what is the name of the book? Whatever book it is -- fiction or nonfiction. Title and author.

I am reading Tristes Tropiques, by Claude Levi-Strauss (1955), translated from the French by John and Doreen Weightman.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two this week - just completed, a re-read of East of Chosin: Entrapment and Breakout in Korea 1950 by Roy Appleman...... dense, highly detailed recount of army's 31st RCT tragedy on the east side of the reservoir in Nov 27 - Dec. 2 1950 - the definitive work on it.

And started and about finished my first Anthony Trollope novel, The Warden.

This is a little off topic, but my wife gave me a Kindle last year as a present and my reading has increased so much since then. It's just so convenient to browse books (you can get free previews), buy without going anywhere, and get exceptional discounts (about the most expensive in the best sellers are $9.99). I've read about twice as many books since I got it.

I wish I could read a book, any of a number of books I have waiting for me, but I am in the midst of my dissertation and I dare not take any time away from that else I will most certainly fall behind. I have promised myself that I will read to my hearts content once I turn in my final document and complete my defense, but until then Barnes and Noble are unfortunately off limits.

Just finished "His Excellency George Washington" by Joseph Ellis; I highly recommend it.

Started "Assassination Vacation" by Sarah Vowell, but got bored after 50 pages and laid it aside.

Nearly halfway through my long-term project of finishing "Les Miserables" by Victor Hugo in the original French (yep, all 1800 pages!)

Guest Vern Edwards

Ron,

We're not snobs. Spenser's great. Have you read any of Parker's westerns about the gunmen/lawmen Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch? Terrific.

Vern,

Not yet, but they're on my list. I try not to read more than 1 or 2 in a row from the same author. Some author's style gets stale and sounding the same, and it ruins some of the pleasure. Parker can get that way, so I need some variety. Before Parker it was a Carl Hiaison book, and a Nelson DeMille before that.

Most of my pleasure reading is before going to bed, and I only last about 3-4 pages. Then the next night I have to reread the last page, so I'm only advancing at about 2-3 pages per night. That makes it hard to finish a paid-by-the-word book. ;)