What are you reading?

Guest Vern Edwards

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Vern Edwards
Of course, you know who played The Thing in the 1951 version.

From alien vegetable to Marshall of Dodge City.

James Arness. He also starred in my other favorite "horror" movie: Them!

In the 1960's, H. Peam Piper wrote a classic SF novel, "Little Fuzzy". Award-winning SF novelist John Scalzi has "rebooted" the novel and (with the permission of the Piper estate) just published it as "Fuzzy Nation". That's what I'm reading now.

• 8 months later...

Okay, what the heck, I'll see if I can get this interesting thread moving again.

I am currently reading Kissinger 1973, The Crucial Year by Alistair Horne. It is proving the be a thoroughly fascinating read about one of the most tumultuous years in American, and world history. I highly recommend it.

"One Second After" by William R. Forstchen - Story about a Nuclear device detonated in the atmosphere above America causing and EMP and to failure of all electronic systems in the country. Interesting read and more than and little disturbing.

"One Second After" by William R. Forstchen - Story about a Nuclear device detonated in the atmosphere above America causing and EMP and to failure of all electronic systems in the country. Interesting read and more than and little disturbing.

The premise of the book was disturbing considering that EMP is possibly the likeliest threat to us from any small country possessing a limited nuclear capability (i.e., Iran, North Korea). If you are intrigued by that kind of premise, here are a couple of more recent publications on that order:

77 Days in September, by Ray Gorham

Winterkill, by Gene Skilleg

Perhaps I'm too critical, but I give all three of these a "C," primarily because the character development is not very . . . mature. However, plot and premise are interesting in all.

As a fan of post-apocolyptic fiction, I'm currently re-reading an old favorite: Farnham's Freehold, by Heinlein. Nostalgia reading for one raised in the shadow of the Soviet nuclear threat.

CardinalChange,

I acutally finished 77 Days in September, yesterday. For whatever morbid reason I have long been a fan of post-apocalyptic/dystopian stories. "Survivors", by James Wesley Rawles is very good as well as is "Lights Out" by David Crawford(although very wordy).

Last month I read "The Hunger Games" Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Although written for a teen audience, this is the best book(s) I have read in years.

I will have to check out the others you mentioned. Ever since I purchased a kindle my appetite for reading increased tenfold.

I just finished the third book in "The Breach" trilogy by Patrick Lee. A great mix of thriller and science fiction. Fast-moving, tense, interesting. If you are a fan of (old) Tom Clancy or Lee Child's "Reacher" stories and like a dash of futuristic ideas, then I recommend these to you.

• 1 month later...

I am reading the series "A song of Fire and Ice" better know to many as A Game of Thrones which is the first book. Just finished the second book, A Clash of Kings and have started the third book, A Storm of Swords. Excellent series so far.

Worth noting the HBO series, A Game of Thrones, is based upon the book and from what I have seen of season one follows the book very closely.

Just finished "Enough" by the legendary founder of Vanguard and proponent of passive investing, John Bogle.

Starting on "PeopleSmart: Developing Your Interpersonal Intelligence" by Melvin Silberman

I also picked up "50 Self-Help Classics" by Tom Butler-Bowdon and have been reading through about 5 books/night

As you can tell - I'm a fan of the self-help books! :)

• 5 months later...