Can Agency Head sign contracts as a Contracting Officer?

govt2310

Agency heads and a ?relatively small number of high level officials? including heads of contracting activities are ?designated contracting officers solely by virtue of their positions,? FAR 1.601. There is brief mention of this in 1 No. 5 Nash & Cibinic Rep. ? 38, May, 1987, PROCUREMENT OFFICIALS: YOU NEED A PROGRAM TO TELL THE PLAYERS, by Ralph C. Nash and John Cibinic. But it would be great to find more discussion on this issue.

I have a vague recollection that there was a wifcon thread some years ago on whether a Secretary of a department could sign a contract as a contracting officer. If anyone finds it, please post the link to it here.

Agency heads and a ?relatively small number of high level officials? including heads of contracting activities are ?designated contracting officers solely by virtue of their positions,? FAR 1.601. There is brief mention of this in 1 No. 5 Nash & Cibinic Rep. ? 38, May, 1987, PROCUREMENT OFFICIALS: YOU NEED A PROGRAM TO TELL THE PLAYERS, by Ralph C. Nash and John Cibinic. But it would be great to find more discussion on this issue.

I have a vague recollection that there was a wifcon thread some years ago on whether a Secretary of a department could sign a contract as a contracting officer. If anyone finds it, please post the link to it here.

You may remember from a few years ago that the former GSA Administrator, Lurita Doan, was accused by the GSA IG of improperly executing a contract when she didn't have the authority to do so. Final outcome to that was there was never a contract in place. Was just part of the contentious (sp?) relationship between her and the IG. Don't have a link but could probably google "Lurita Doan, IG" and get some good reading material.

Agency heads and a "relatively small number of high level officials" including heads of contracting activities are "designated contracting officers solely by virtue of their positions," FAR 1.601. There is brief mention of this in 1 No. 5 Nash & Cibinic Rep. ? 38, May, 1987, PROCUREMENT OFFICIALS: YOU NEED A PROGRAM TO TELL THE PLAYERS, by Ralph C. Nash and John Cibinic. But it would be great to find more discussion on this issue.

http://www.wifcon.com/arc/forum607.htm

Wow. Over 10 years.

I've been at this for over 12 years. Next July, this site will be a teenager.

And thank you very much for devoting the time and effort to make this site so valuable.

H2H