REQUEST FOR QUOTES

I am in discussions with my CO who wants to do a competition related to Part 15 and I want to do a "streamlined acquistion" for a commerical item, based on the market survey responses..... can anyone provide feedback... Its a commerical item, total is about 1 MIL , there is some testing involve before award which will take about 30 days and he feels like that will preclude us from streamlining the competition. Basically my RFQ will include various attachments like the testing info, LPTA info, specification of product , compliance matrix and delivery locations. Any feedback

I am in discussions with my CO who wants to do a competition related to Part 15 and I want to do a "streamlined acquistion" for a commerical item, based on the market survey responses..... can anyone provide feedback... Its a commerical item, total is about 1 MIL , there is some testing involve before award which will take about 30 days and he feels like that will preclude us from streamlining the competition. Basically my RFQ will include various attachments like the testing info, LPTA info, specification of product , compliance matrix and delivery locations. Any feedback

I am not sure why your contracting officer believes that preaward testing precludes use of FAR Part 12 / 13.5. Paragraph (d) of 52.212-1 anticipates the testing:

(d) Product samples. When required by the solicitation, product samples shall be submitted at or prior to the time specified for receipt of offers. Unless otherwise specified in this solicitation, these samples shall be submitted at no expense to the Government, and returned at the sender's request and expense, unless they are destroyed during preaward testing.

Unquote

See also FAR 12.602(B). It refers to use of product samples in evaluation of offers:

A technical evaluation would normally include examination of such things as product literature, product samples (if requested), technical features and warranty provisions.

Unquote.

If it were me, I would find out if the testing is contrary to standard commercial practices, and to what degree. If I find it normal industry testing and not unique to Government, then go commercial streamlined, whenever possible. You can still use Part 15 with regard to selection only prepare contract as commercial and not UCF. Why make it more difficult for yourself and for the contractors?

My old boss used to say: If it is legal, ethical, good for the client...then find a way to make it happen!

• 8 months later...