Lodging Vehicles

csd6402

Am interested in other acquisition professionals opinions on the notion of Contracting being responsible for securing housing of military personnel.  My understanding is, it pertains to active duty and reserve personnel, there are provisions already in place for securing lodging.

I'm formerly personnel, to include when I initially retired before coming on board in Contracting.  For my entire career and to my knowledge, up until entering the Contracting workforce, lodging/travel for military/civilians was a function of personnel.  Since starting at my present location I've issued orders for expert witnesses; reserve personnel; and military families.  Am I alone in this sentiment or are there others who feel Contracting is being pulled in to do someone else's jobs?  As a personnelist at units I issued orders for AD personnel to travel; secured lodging for court-martial witnesses (working in conjunction w/ Legal).  At no point did I ever contact Contracting to complete personnel functions.

In some situations, it may make sense for an organization to contract for housing and provide it to personnel, rather than making those persons find their own accommodations with their housing allowances.

If your organization is contracting for housing, I am sure the proper authorities have decided it is appropriate to do so.  

10 hours ago, csd6402 said:

For my entire career and to my knowledge, up until entering the Contracting workforce, lodging/travel for military/civilians was a function of personnel. 

Contracting offices have been procuring housing/lodging services for military and civilian personnel for as long as I have been around, and I have been around for almost 50 years.

Such acquisitions are not at all uncommon.

Maybe it's time to put your personal experience as a "personnelist" behind you. Contracting contracts for whatever is needed.