How many time extensions can be done on a task order?

creyes814

Each time extension has been verified and required due to various Government delays and no fault of the KTR.  But I have never seen so many time extensions done to a task order and on top of that the basic contract is expired. Is it okay to have another time extension? The reason again is due to Government delays.

The time extension is required so the Contractor can complete all the remaining fieldwork, archival research and technical editing to produce a deliverable that meets the requirements of the scope of work and fulfill the legal requirements of the Memorandum of Agreement between the Navy and the State for California which depend on the deliverables associated with this task order. This task order is under a service type contract.  

Just now, creyes814 said:

Each time extension has been verified and required due to various Government delays and no fault of the KTR.  But I have never seen so many time extensions done to a task order and on top of that the basic contract is expired. Is it okay to have another time extension? The reason again is due to Government delays.

The time extension is required so the Contractor can complete all the remaining fieldwork, archival research and technical editing to produce a deliverable that meets the requirements of the scope of work and fulfill the legal requirements of the Memorandum of Agreement between the Navy and the State for California which depend on the deliverables associated with this task order. This task order is under a service type contract.  

IDIQ I am guessing.   Some one may be able to offer case law that might set some standard, I did not go looking, but my general view would be as many as reasonable considering the facts as well as what if anything the contract might provide.   I say this noting that clause at 52.216-22 might place some limitation.  However such limitation could most likely be adjusted by a bilateral modification to accommodate a reasonable situation. 

This might be an interesting read with regard to your use of "expired".  

creyes814,

• Are you the contractor? 
  • Do you want the extensions? 
  • Are the extensions unilateral (no contractor agreement and signature) or bilateral (with contractor agreement and signature)? 
  • What authority is cited in the extension modifications? 
  • Is your contract fixed-price or cost-reimbursement?