Contingency Response

WifWaf

The people who have the most experience work for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), within the Department of Homeland Security. I'm pretty sure that some of them relocate temporarily. Their website has posted the following notice:

We are helping people in Kentucky and other areas affected by the deadly tornadoes. FEMA teams are on the ground to provide swift support and coordination with federal resources to help these communities.

And see this: https://www.fema.gov/press-release/20211211/fema-responds-tornado-outbreaks

They have two management assistance teams and others on the way to Kentucky.

I'm sure it's difficult work under very difficult conditions.

1 hour ago, WifWaf said:

Do any feds on here have experience in contingency contracting in response to a natural disaster?  Did you physically relocate for it?  Was it a worthwhile endeavor?

Past experience with the US Forest Service Incident Response.  While USFS uses the incident response system for wildfires they also are dispatched for other efforts.  Work is done both remotely and via relocation but was usually temporary.  Example 21 days to Louisiana for post Katrina effort.  I learned what "hot bunking" was really all about where I shared a motel room with a law enforcement officer that worked nights and I worked days on the procurement side of things.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/managing-land/fire/ibp

There is also this that may provide insight - https://www.fai.gov/topics/contingency-contracting-corps 

Absolutely worth it. Both career building experience and personal satisfaction of being able to help. 

7 hours ago, Vern Edwards said:

They have two management assistance teams and others on the way to Kentucky.

I'm sure it's difficult work under very difficult conditions.

6 hours ago, C Culham said:

Absolutely worth it. Both career building experience and personal satisfaction of being able to help.

Thanks, you two read my mind.  Very sad for Western Kentucky.  FEMA Administrator Deanne Criswell held a briefing to the media just over an hour ago from Mayfield, KY, and made a few points relevant to contracting.

1. A "Major Disaster" will be declared in a very short time.  Governor Andy Beshear was signing the paperwork to send to the President.  (Per FAR 26.201 it will be published in the Federal Register and made available at https://www.fema.gov/disasters/disaster-declarations)
  2. The requirements are going to be, firstly, housing.  Gov. Beshear made it known later in the briefing that over 1000 homes will need to be replaced.  Other requirements to procure included water, power, fuel, and telecommunications.

I looked up Major Disaster because of the way Ms. Criswell discussed this term.  FAR 2.101 begins discussing it by referencing the FAR Parts to look for its use:

Major disaster, as used in 6.208, 13.201, 13.500, 18.001, 18.202, 18.203, and subpart 26.2, means any natural catastrophe...which, in the determination of the President, causes damage of sufficient severity and magnitude to warrant major disaster assistance under the Stafford Act to supplement the efforts and available resources of States, local governments, and disaster relief organizations in alleviating the damage, loss, hardship, or suffering caused thereby (42 U.S.C. 5122).

With these acquisition flexibilities, the requirements can be set aside to local contractors, or, if determined a commercial service or product, can be awarded without competition under Simplified Acquisition Procedures up to $15M pursuant to FAR 13.500(c) IAW FAR 13.106-1(b).  I hope the local contractor community is ready to begin work.  The Disaster Response Registry of construction contractors on SAM.gov for Graves County, KY, where FEMA briefed from, appears to be empty as of today.  Not sure about the other counties.

The company I work for sent numerous people at no cost to the government starting with Katrina.  We had 14 people there doing contract actions.  Everyone involved from Katrina on said it’s a worthwhile experience.

If you or anyone goes, it’s important to remember to follow proper policies and regulations and document well every decision made.  It can be brief but needs to be solid.  So many auditors review actions months later and, no matter how rushed you get at the time, it’s important to promptly and succinctly document actions.