Comptroller General Bid Protest Statistics - 25 Years of Fiscal Year Data

This week, I noticed that GAO had published its FY 2021 annual report on its bid protests.  So, I planned to update Wifcon's information.  Then I realized, Wifcon's data had 2 years missing--2020 and 2006.  I updated those last night.  Just now, I found a few formatting issue I need to correct.  However, we are talking about 25 years of information-- 3 decades.

The fiscal year numbers at the top of each column are links to GAO's annual reports so you can read them, if you want.  FY 2002 through 1997 do not have links.  Back then, GAO's annual reports provided limited data that did not include annual statistics.  I remember contacting GAO's Bid Protest Unit in the late 1990s to obtain the early year's statistics from one of the attorneys.  In short, to my knowledge, there is no other place you can find 25 years of data.

I've tried to include footnotes explaining key points about the statistics.  Here is a warning.  Do not look at one year's data, look for trends.  Another thing.  GAO counts protests as B-numbers.  As a result, a published decision may include several B-numbers.  Footnote 1 explains that.

Here you go:  Comptroller General Bid Protest Statistics - 25 Years of Fiscal Year Data.  There are 2 pages of data:  1 for 2021 through 2010 and another from 2009 to 1997.  To get to the 2009 through 1997 data you need to click Go To Statistics for FYs 2006 through 1997.