As a newbie sub with no past performance, will the Prime be put off from giving me work?

GovBiz

Hello everyone,

There isn't much intro to give apart from the fact that I will going in as a sub with no past performance (yet).

As a newbie sub with no past performance, will the Prime be put off from giving me work?

I am looking forward to your inputs, thank you in advance :)

Major prime contractors generally have a Small Business Administrator/Office responsible for reaching out and helping small businesses. You may wish to contact a few of them for feedback about what you can do to  enhance your position in this competitive field.

Newbie to the subcontractor role to a Federal prime contractor, and/or newbie to Federal government contracting wholly as well a reach out to the Association of Procurement Technical Assistance Center (APTAC aka PTAC) in your area may be of an assist to your company and the questions that may arise.    To find out more about the services (free or at affordable costs)of APTAC's go here - https://www.aptac-us.org/ 

14 hours ago, GovBiz said:

Depends on many things, but mostly your presentation of the compony (offer/capabilities). 

As a sub, don't you already have a contract with the prime?

21 hours ago, ji20874 said:

Has the prime already won the contract?

Have you persuaded the prime of the value of the contribution you can make?

No I haven't yet approached a Prime but I do have a few in mind.

Just unsure how to go about approaching a Prime for work.

When is the value of the contribution determined?

17 hours ago, Neil Roberts said:

Major prime contractors generally have a Small Business Administrator/Office responsible for reaching out and helping small businesses. You may wish to contact a few of them for feedback about what you can do to  enhance your position in this competitive field.

Are there particular ones you recommend?

7 hours ago, Constricting Officer said:

Depends on many things, but mostly your presentation of the compony (offer/capabilities). 

As a sub, don't you already have a contract with the prime?

I am yet to do that but unsure how to go about doing it.

I still have small how-tos to figure out regarding initial contact with the Prime and post award before putting myself out there as available for work.

3 hours ago, GovBiz said:

I am yet to do that but unsure how to go about doing it.

Do it and learn from any mistakes made. A quick google search can provide ideas. Having no past performance is a factor and maybe a prime will shy away, but have you assembled a team of capable professionals to do the job? Don't focus on the fact that your company has no relevant past performance. Focus on the members of the team you assembled and their capabilities and experience. 

17 hours ago, GovBiz said:

Are there particular ones you recommend?

I think you should do some market research regarding who are the primes for the field of work you are in.  Also, some fairly major players in your line of work may be 1st tier subcontractors that routinely subcontract. If you were in the defense contracting world as a startup, the three top contractors are Lockheed Martin, Raytheon and General Dynamics. The government Small Business Administration can be helpful too. 

Edited by Neil Roberts
hanging letter

On 11/18/2021 at 2:08 PM, Neil Roberts said:

I think you should do some market research regarding who are the primes for the field of work you are in.  Also, some fairly major players in your line of work may be 1st tier subcontractors that routinely subcontract. If you were in the defense contracting world as a startup, the three top contractors are Lockheed Martin, Raytheon and General Dynamics. The government Small Business Administration can be helpful too. 

Would CACI be one too? Thank you.

On 11/18/2021 at 12:03 AM, Constricting Officer said:

Do it and learn from any mistakes made. A quick google search can provide ideas. Having no past performance is a factor and maybe a prime will shy away, but have you assembled a team of capable professionals to do the job? Don't focus on the fact that your company has no relevant past performance. Focus on the members of the team you assembled and their capabilities and experience. 

When it comes to staffing from the sectors: Information Technology field, AI, IoT, what criteria should I put forward to the staffing agency to assemble the dream-team so I can grab the Prime's attention?

CACI has small business help available. See https://www.caci.com/small-business-advocacy-office. With respect to your company being an assembler of a dream team from staffing agencies, not sure how to gain attention from CACI because staffing agencies may already be registered with CACI as a potential supplier. If you go to the CACI site on line, you will find information on how to register with them.

On 11/16/2021 at 5:38 PM, GovBiz said:

There isn't much intro to give apart from the fact that I will going in as a sub with no past performance (yet).

The reason companies subcontract is they need specialized expertise and resources they presently don’t have.  Unless you provide a large piece of their contract, formal past performance data doesn’t really matter.  But what does is how you can help the prime.

Your job is to show CACI or other similar companies what you can do for them.

Edit: also, are you a small business?

On 11/21/2021 at 10:32 PM, formerfed said:

The reason companies subcontract is they need specialized expertise and resources they presently don’t have.  Unless you provide a large piece of their contract, formal past performance data doesn’t really matter.  But what does is how you can help the prime.

Your job is to show CACI or other similar companies what you can do for them.

Edit: also, are you a small business?

Right, got it.

Yes, I am a small business.