Government acquisitions.

Tara T.

1 hour ago, Tara T. said:

What are three things you can learn regarding Government acquisition from reviewing the website and discussion postings for beginners.

1. You must know what you want to know. (If you are not clear in your own mind, do not ask a question until you make yourself so. In so doing you might learn the answer to your question by yourself.)

2. You must write a clear, specific, and succinct question. (Write a wh-question. Think and work on it before you post. Craft it. Imagine the kind of answer you want and try to elicit that kind of answer. Don't post on the spur of the moment. Don't write compound questions. Use plain English. Don't use jargon, abbreviations, or acronyms. See "https://www.dummies.com/careers/find-a-job/interviews/ten-tips-for-asking-good-questions/.)

3. You must provide essential context if the question is prompted by an event or set of circumstances. (Describe the event or the circumstances—environment, background or settings that determine, specify, or clarify it and be prepared to provide more information promptly upon request. Ask the question first, then provide the context.)

Bonus fourth "thing":

4. Government contracting is exceedingly complex, practitioners often disagree, and some (more than a few) don't know what they're talking about.

1 hour ago, Tara T. said:

What are three things you can learn regarding Government acquisition from reviewing the website and discussion postings for beginners.

The WIFCON website and the beginners forum will provide you with a greater understanding by giving you information to intrigue you to dig deeper, and provide clarity and refinement of the complex matters of Government acquisition.

Tara, Please note that the Beginners Topic Area was added a few years ago. I believe that Bob Antonio (Owner and Webmaster) added it with the intent to encourage more beginners to post to with less apprehension that the answerers would be critical of the questioners’ knowlege level. It is intended to be a “safer”, more tolerant topic area.

However, hopefully a beginner can learn from any of the topic areas.

There is also a wealth of information on the website, much of which is reported daily on the WIFCON Homepage.

In fact,  that used to be my Homepage on my Blackberry when I opened my browser.

@Tara T.I encourage you to invest time in learning how to research issues and questions and find resolutions and answers for yourself.

Wifcon's "For Beginners Only" forum may be helpful if you have a simple, straightforward "flash" question and a highly specific context. Otherwise, the resolution of many contracting issues is highly contingent, and there are no simple "boom" answers that will resolve them. When issues are highly contingent they tend to prompt free-for-all responses that may be more confusing than clarifying, and beginners usually are in no position to sort them out.

Consider the following  concerning an approach to answering questions for yourself:

An issue is a matter under consideration that is the subject of actual or potential disagreement, for example:

• Whether competition is required
  • Whether a set-aside is required
  • Whether a cost is allowable
  • Whether a cure notice is required
  • Whether the Davis-Bacon Act applies

Resolving an issue that is addressed in the FAR:

1. State the issue and the question that must be answered.
  2. Research FAR and find the applicable rule(s), if any.
  3. Read, analyze, and interpret the rule(s); they will tell you what facts you need.
  4. Identify the pertinent facts of the problem (the "case", the situation).
  5. Develop a syllogistic (deductive) argument. A syllogistic (deductive) argument is a set of three propositions structured in a format called a syllogism:
    • Major premise: The Major Premise is the applicable rule(s) in FAR. If X is the case, then do Y. 
    • Minor premise: The Minor Premise is the statement of the pertinent fact(s) of the case. X is the case. 
    • Conclusion: The Conclusion results (follows) from applying the rule(s) to the fact(s). Therefore, do Y. 
  6. Write your argument down on paper in plain English.
  7. Test your argument by discussing it with people you know whose knowledge you respect.

Teach yourself to do those things and you won't want to come to "For Beginners Only" unless you're just looking for a social media diversion.

I'm not saying that you cannot learn "things" at Wifcon's "For Beginners Only" forum. You can. I'm saying that I hope you understand the forum's free-for-all limitations, which are significant.