Wage Increase and/or Health & Welfare Increase Requests

JaxD8282

My question is somewhat overarching...What is an acceptable level of assistance/responsibility from the contracting officer in assisting the contractor to submit a properly substantiated wage increase and/or health & welfare request?  The FAR and DFARS don't speak to this topic directly so I thought I'd just gather some opinions from fellow KOs. 

Both the prime contractor and their sub in this instance have submitted 5+ iterations of the accompanying spreadsheets, payroll records, etc….all of which have contained errors and omissions resulting in a substantial amount of my time and effort.  Aside from a significant number of phone calls, I’ve had to rework the mod documents numerous times and we still aren’t even to a proper request as of yet. 

Basically…at what point does my involvement surpass a reasonable level as I have essentially been walking the contractor to the finish line.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

1 hour ago, JaxD8282 said:

Both the prime contractor and their sub in this instance have submitted 5+ iterations of the accompanying spreadsheets, payroll records, etc….all of which have contained errors and omissions resulting in a substantial amount of my time and effort.  Aside from a significant number of phone calls, I’ve had to rework the mod documents numerous times and we still aren’t even to a proper request as of yet.

Basically…at what point does my involvement surpass a reasonable level as I have essentially been walking the contractor to the finish line.

You've already surpassed it, even if they are a small business.

The contract doesn't require you to help them, does it? If not, then a  reasonable amount of advice and assistance is one thing, but they are ulitmately responsible for looking out for themselves. Advise them to hire an accountant or consultant to help them.

Jax,

In addition to what Vern said, I would add that you should ascertain whether the contractor is entitled to an increase in the contract price in the first place.  You speak of a "proper request," and part of proper includes a valid basis to even entertain a request.

22 hours ago, JaxD8282 said:

Agreed.  We exercised an option year and incorporated the most recent and applicable wage determination, which substantiated the increase.  Paystubs confirm the previous lower wage rate, thus the contractor is eligible.  

What is the nature of the errors and omissions? Math errors? Repeatedly revising the numbers of manhours and classifications?