Are we allowed to specify the estimated dollar amount in a pre-solicitation Sources Sought notice?

Are we allowed to specify the estimated dollar amount in a pre-solicitation Sources Sought notice in Beta.SAM.gov?  I couldn't find guidance in the FAR as to what content is allowed.  In FAR 5.207 Preparation and transmittal of synopsis, the content described for synopsis looks to be for "after contract award".   Thank you.  

Sure.  You can do it.  But you really should have a good reason such as promoting competition or attracting interest and just a notice without dollar amounts won’t do.  Most sources sought notices contain enough information for potential sources to gauge overall value without needs to state dollar amounts.

6 hours ago, creyes814 said:

Are we allowed to specify the estimated dollar amount in a pre-solicitation Sources Sought notice in Beta.SAM.gov?  I couldn't find guidance in the FAR as to what content is allowed.  In FAR 5.207 Preparation and transmittal of synopsis, the content described for synopsis looks to be for "after contract award".   Thank you.  

There is not a general prohibition that I am aware of. What supplies or services is the acquisition for? For example, FAR 36.203(c) discusses specific limitations on releasing estimates for construction contract actions.

6 hours ago, creyes814 said:

What is the acquisition for? 

12 hours ago, Jamaal Valentine said:

There is not a general prohibition that I am aware of. What supplies or services is the acquisition for? For example, FAR 36.203(c) discusses specific limitations on releasing estimates for construction contract actions.

FAR 36.204 might be more on point.   

I will probably get myself in big trouble again but note the "should" versus the "shall"  not release the government estimate.   I personally have adjusted the construction magnitude on the basis of "Should means an expected course of action or policy that is to be followed unless inappropriate for a particular circumstance." when, as a CO I had knowledge that magnitude was in the public domain otherwise, such as in a published NEPA document that was developed for the construction project.

Spinning off of another thread where a post indicated info was not going to be released now that a solicitation was "live" my mind also reaches to FAR 15.201 where I believe and have been an advocate for exchanges with industry prior to receipt of proposals.  A close read of  FAR 15.201 shows it is not a carte blanc to tell all, share all but I dang sure think it supports communication that I have always thought the government stifled too much.

45 minutes ago, C Culham said:

FAR 36.204 might be more on point.

Why would FAR 36.204 be more on point? Here’s what the OP asked, in relevant part:

20 hours ago, creyes814 said:

Are we allowed to specify the estimated dollar amount in a pre-solicitation Sources Sought notice in Beta.SAM.gov?

The OP is asking about the estimated dollar amount in a sources sought notice - not estimated price range.

We don’t know if this is an acquisition of construction services. However, the question could seem to involve an advanced notice (e.g., source sought) although that term is not defined in FAR Part 2, 5, 10, or 36.

Releasing the budget and/or government estimate in a competitive acquisition makes sense in many cases. I’m not sure what all the concern is about. We should have more in-depth and candid dialogue with our industry partners.

12 minutes ago, Weno2 said:

Our agency also provides the estimated amount of a procurement as a category in our fiscal year forecast of procurement opportunities:  Posted on the agency's website.

@Weno2Is your agency posting a cost estimate or a budget?

If an estimate, is the estimate based on completed drawings and specifications?

If an estimate, do you post the details or just the bottom line?

The agency posts the 'Total Contract Value Dollar Range'.  For example, the range could be between $25-50K;, $50M-$150M.

Range value includes completed drawings and specifications, labor costs, etc.   Pretty-much what's in the government cost estimate.