Contractor Employee Quality of Life

nygiants20

"What I find interesting is that typically I've seen contractors afforded the flexible schedules, coffee breaks, and even the '59 minute' early dismisals that the Govt personnel enjoy."

Just because it happens doesn't mean it is right. This quote above illustrates the contractors being treated the same as govt employees. They can't because they are contractors and there is a difference. They should not be getting 59 min early breaks. Everywhere I have worked at has said NO to the contractors wanting that. If the company pays for it, fine, they can leave whenever they want. If the govt is paying for this "59 min leave early", then no, they stay. If they want the govt benefits, apply for a govt employee job. Coffee breaks are allowed per SCA. They get 2 15 mins breaks a day. I don't have a problem with flexible schedules as long as someone is here to cover the void.

• 3 weeks later...

FAR Part 7.108 states, "Additional requirements for telecommuting.

In accordance with section 1428 of Public Law 108-136, an agency shall generally not discourage a contractor from allowing its employees to telecommute in the performance of Government contracts. Therefore, agencies shall not?

(a) Include in a solicitation a requirement that prohibits an offeror from permitting its employees to telecommute unless the contracting officer first determines that the requirements of the agency, including security requirements, cannot be met if telecommuting is permitted. The contracting officer shall document the basis for the determination in writing and specify the prohibition in the solicitation; or

(B) When telecommuting is not prohibited, unfavorably evaluate an offer because it includes telecommuting, unless the contracting officer first determines that the requirements of the agency, including security requirements, would be adversely impacted if telecommuting is permitted. The contracting officer shall document the basis for the determination in writing and address the evaluation procedures in the solicitation."

I doubt this was considered or done, but if it had been, I'll bet the solicitation would have addressed this up front rather than appearing to be based on the whim of a contracting officer's preference. It would have been based on requirement need which is where this conversation orobably should have stayed.

FAR Part 7.108 states, "Additional requirements for telecommuting.

In accordance with section 1428 of Public Law 108-136, an agency shall generally not discourage a contractor from allowing its employees to telecommute in the performance of Government contracts. Therefore, agencies shall not?

(a) Include in a solicitation a requirement that prohibits an offeror from permitting its employees to telecommute unless the contracting officer first determines that the requirements of the agency, including security requirements, cannot be met if telecommuting is permitted. The contracting officer shall document the basis for the determination in writing and specify the prohibition in the solicitation; or

(B) When telecommuting is not prohibited, unfavorably evaluate an offer because it includes telecommuting, unless the contracting officer first determines that the requirements of the agency, including security requirements, would be adversely impacted if telecommuting is permitted. The contracting officer shall document the basis for the determination in writing and address the evaluation procedures in the solicitation."

I doubt this was considered or done, but if it had been, I'll bet the solicitation would have addressed this up front rather than appearing to be based on the whim of a contracting officer's preference. It would have been based on requirement need which is where this conversation orobably should have stayed.

Except the questions was:

Specifically, I'm trying to find any information that discusses Government agencies allowing (or not) contractor employees the option of working flexible/compressed work schedules like many Government employees are able to do.

That is not telecommuting.

The issue seems to be that the OP was one of two contractor employees that provided "staff augmentation" support to five government employees and the OP wanted to work on a flexible/compressed work schedule like the government people do. I bet that if asked upfront, the "requirement need" was to work on site 8hrs/day, 5 days/week.