Jump to content
The Wifcon Forums and Blogs

Recommended Posts

What will SUB do, when incumbent loose the bid?
===============================================


Hello fellow contractors,

Thanks for reviewing my threads.

I have a situation I need advice on. You may have been in this situation. I currently work thru a SUB with Prime for Federal agency. My prime contractor (incumbent) lost his bid. There are lot of uncertainty floating around all subs of this contract. We are not sure to have extensive experience with this agency and its tech infrastructure is an asset or liability.

How will the new contractor know about existing resources experience/capability?

What are the pro-active steps to take in this situation?

What are the avenues available for subs in this situation?

With whom, we can communicate/build relationships?

Thanks for your guidance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I understand your situation, you are currently an employee of a subcontractor, whose prime has just lost the recompete for the follow-on contract. That means the subcontract has lost as well, unless it has some kind of teaming agreement with the soon-to-be new prime (doubtful but possible).

Although there is no way to know for sure, it is likely that within the winning prime's bid is a transition plan. That transition plan should have explained whether or not the new prime intends to hire any part of the incumbent workforce. Again, it is going to be difficult for you to know what that transition plan said.

If I were in your shoes, I would polish off my resume. I would visit the new prime's website and look for job opportunities that matched my skillset and experience. If I found a good opening, I would submit. Alternately, you would wait and see what happens; your employer will be communicating with you sooner or later ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

 

There are lot of uncertainty floating around all subs of this contract. We are not sure to have extensive experience with this agency and its tech infrastructure is an asset or liability.

Not to sound negative, but it’s if a significant contract the winning offeror likely has carefully thought through a thorough and sound approach.  If one or more subs is part of what the agency looks for in the successful follow on, word gets out to offerors and that’s part of their proposal.  Whatever the winner said and did, the agency seemed satisfied.  This may even been part of communications before award.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another thought for the future if you haven’t is your company teaming up with all potential offerors in advance.  That’s assuming you don’t have a noncompete agreement with your prime.  After award, it’s almost too late to do anything except apply for positions as individuals with the new awardee.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for weighing in. I understand.

As I worked with this agency/project for many years and have SME/infrastructure clean background, active public trust with this agency. 

I am a federally compliant resource, who can perform the technical work.

Is this a asset or liability ?

How do I approach the new awardee to present my credentials?

Is it a good idea to wait till we get transition plans /key players of new awardee present the credentials or approach them before this happen?

Thanks for your guidance.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, here_2_help said:

If I were in your shoes, I would polish off my resume. I would visit the new prime's website and look for job opportunities that matched my skillset and experience. If I found a good opening, I would submit. Alternately, you would wait and see what happens; your employer will be communicating with you sooner or later ...

I don’t see why you shouldn’t be proactive and contact the new prime. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MDRI said:

Thanks for weighing in. I understand.

As I worked with this agency/project for many years and have SME/infrastructure clean background, active public trust with this agency. 

I am a federally compliant resource, who can perform the technical work.

Is this a asset or liability ?

Only you know if the agency considers that an asset or a liability.  

If they want a resource that’s compliant in terms of strictly providing answers by the book, maybe that’s an asset.  However if they seek innovation, creativity, customer focused service, and identifying and solving problems, just knowing and doing technical work without providing additional value could be a liability.

To start I would ask your management why your company lost.  That gives you some insight.   Since you worked there many years, you must know the culture.  If it were me, I would also informally contact employees I know well and get their advice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
On 4/27/2021 at 10:30 AM, here_2_help said:

Although there is no way to know for sure, it is likely that within the winning prime's bid is a transition plan. That transition plan should have explained whether or not the new prime intends to hire any part of the incumbent workforce.  ...

Thanks or weighing in.

How do I find the above info?

Thanks for sharing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What did the new prime and your then current employer say when you contacted them? Those ideas were part of the recommendations herein, six months ago.

Are you specifically looking for the transition plan itself?

I doubt that you could access the transition plan. It may well be exempt  from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, joel hoffman said:

What did the new prime and your then current employer say when you contacted them? Those ideas were part of the recommendations herein, six months ago.

Are you specifically looking for the transition plan itself?

I doubt that you could access the transition plan. It may well be exempt  from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act.

Thanks again.

We have not started transition activity yet. New Prime is aligning their resources, but they did not reach out to exiting resources of incumbent .

The current employer/incumbent are quite about gain employees agreement./discussions.

I need guidance on how to approach (gain employees) subject with whom .

Thanks for sharing.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, MDRI said:

Thanks again.

We have not started transition activity yet. New Prime is aligning their resources, but they did not reach out to exiting resources of incumbent .

The current employer/incumbent are quite about gain employees agreement./discussions.

I need guidance on how to approach (gain employees) subject with whom .

Thanks for sharing.

 

 

 


“The current employer/incumbent are quite about gain employees agreement./discussions.”

[I assume that “quite” = quiet]

If I was worried about my prospects with current employer, I’d first ask them what their plan is for me during and after the transition. Inasmuch as they lost the follow on award, that doesn’t seem to be an unreasonable request to your employer.

Then, depending upon the answer, contact the new prime…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...