How to determining "color of money" from Appropriation data

dmuir

I have a contract with the Department of State and I'm trying to determine if the funds will expire at the end of this fiscal year.

I even found the Foreign Affairs Handbook  with the Account Structure; however it doesn't seem to match the accounting code I have.

Yes, I could ask my CO, but I'm here because we are trying to find out this information BEFORE we talk to the CO.

Any suggestions on where else to look? Any appropriations decoder on-line?

Thank you. 

"Color of Money" is a term DOD/Contracting in general uses for the "Availability of Appropriations for Purpose" (See The Red Book Chapter 4). What they can be used for.

When funds are available for obligation or expire is a matter of "Availability of Appropriations for Time" (See The Red Book Chapter 5). 

Not sure what kind of contract you have, but without more information and generally speaking a five year period after the source appropriation was made:

Red Book Chapter 1 - D.5 "Continuing our “life cycle” analogy, an appropriation “dies” in a sense at the end of its period of obligational availability. There is, however, an afterlife to the extent of any unexpended balances. Unexpended balances, both obligated and unobligated, retain a limited availability for five fiscal years following expiration of the period for which the source appropriation was made. At midnight on the last day of an appropriation’s period of availability, the appropriation account expires and is no longer available for incurring new obligations. The expired appropriation remains available for 5 years for the purpose of paying obligations incurred prior to the account’s expiration and adjusting obligations that were previously unrecorded or under recorded. 31 U.S.C. § 1553(a). After 5 years, the expired account is closed and the balances remaining are canceled. 31 U.S.C. § 1552(a). These concepts are discussed in Chapter 5."

The U.S. Treasury Fast Book of codes is here - FEDERAL ACCOUNT SYMBOLS AND TITLES (treasury.gov)

Can't do much else for you without additional information. 

4 hours ago, dmuir said:

I have a contract with the Department of State and I'm trying to determine if the funds will expire at the end of this fiscal year.

I even found the Foreign Affairs Handbook  with the Account Structure; however it doesn't seem to match the accounting code I have.

Yes, I could ask my CO, but I'm here because we are trying to find out this information BEFORE we talk to the CO.

Any suggestions on where else to look? Any appropriations decoder on-line?

Thank you. 

Are you asking if the unexpended funds on contract will expire for payment purposes at the end of this FY?