Cost Proposals/Contract Classes?

Soton

Hi Everyone - I've been in the contract management field for over 10 years, moving from the Government to industry several years ago. As I progress through my career I have some gaps in my cost proposal/contract competencies that I would like to strengthen. Cost contracts are not completely foreign to me, I've been around them, I just never put one together myself and there are no opportunities to do so at my current employer.

Could anyone suggest a class or training provider that would be good for gaining a better understanding of how cost proposals are put together and the contracts managed? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Soton, are you looking for cost (reimbursement) contract management training from a prime contractor’s perspective? 

Here you go. The majority of Fed Pubs seminars are worthwhile and they tend to cost less than the competition. That said, you learn theory and, in my experience, there is not a lot of hands-on learning.

On 3/15/2021 at 7:27 AM, Soton said:

Could anyone suggest a class or training provider that would be good for gaining a better understanding of how cost proposals are put together and the contracts managed? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

here_2_help has already recommended training. I suggest that you buy a copy of Cost-Reimbursement Contracting, 4th ed., by Cibinic and Nash (2014), published by Wolters Kluwer. It's pricey, but worth it if you really want to understand the concepts and principles that apply in cost-reimbursement contracting. It's slightly out of date on some of the regulations, mainly with regard to the cost principles, but it's excellent on ideas and practices. Very detailed.

On 3/17/2021 at 9:50 AM, joel hoffman said:

Soton, are you looking for cost (reimbursement) contract management training from a prime contractor’s perspective? 

Yes, that is correct. I'm really looking towards the next jump in my career and at a leadership position, though not at my current employer. I'm notably weak in my cost reimbursement competencies and I think it may be a barrier as I begin to look elsewhere. I know experience is always best but that's difficult to come by in my position.

On 3/17/2021 at 10:05 AM, here_2_help said:

Here you go.

Thank you, I've signed up for a few.

23 hours ago, Vern Edwards said:

I suggest that you buy a copy of Cost-Reimbursement Contracting, 4th ed., by Cibinic and Nash (2014), published by Wolters Kluwer. 

I'll check it out, thank you.