Files Needed for Closeout

Supes

I've got a situation where our contract files (I'm talking from pre-award through award and some admin) aren't great. In fact some are really bad with lots of documentation missing. Like pretty much all offices, we're getting a big push to closeout our backlog of contracts that are physically complete. Some of our management feels that the files need to be 100% complete in order to close them out, others feel that we just need a final invoice/certification that the performance is complete/records that show (for cost type) a final audit was completed and any price revisions reconciled (largely they're looking at FAR 4.804-5(a)). Those that want the files 100% want the staff to go back and complete the files (go get historical SAMs, recreate D&Fs/files and memo why it's late). What are your offices doing for closeouts when all the files aren't complete? I'm sure this must be a very common issue...

Please do not re-create the past.  Please do not whitewash by creating documents today and pretending like they were created a long time ago.  Please be honest.  Tell the truth -- if a historical document doesn't exist, that is the truth.  Just close out these contract files.

29 minutes ago, ji20874 said:

Please do not re-create the past.  Please do not whitewash by creating documents today and pretending like they were created a long time ago.  Please be honest.  Tell the truth -- if a historical document doesn't exist, that is the truth.  Just close out these contract files.

Thankfully only one person suggested that and they were immediately shot down. The idea would be that they recreate a document with today's date and preface it with "This document has been recreated to complete the contract file, the original document is not available or did not exist at the time of action." If they can't recreate it, like a D&F and the person performing the action has left the office, then an memo to the file would be created stating that the file is not available.

Personally, I'm not really seeing the benefit of recreating documents or even memo'ing if it's not directly related to closing out the action (is the work completed and did the contractor get paid the right amount?). 

• 2 weeks later...

Acquisition Planning:

- What do we need (defining the requirement)?

- Where can we get it (market research)? 

- How do we get it (acquisition strategy)?

- Can we afford it (concerning appropriation/funding)?

Solicitation Phase:

- Competition.

- Evaluation.

- Selection.

Pre-Award Phase:

- Responsibility Determination.

- Fair and Reasonable Determination.

Award the contract.

If you can't tell me what any of the above has to do with closing out the contract, let it go and close it out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Don,

While I share your attention, about the exhibits:

So I understand that exhibits are what I have mistakenly known for years as attachment.  

Now, using the example in this topic I see there can be several A type exhibits (001,002,003...), several B type exhibits (001,002,003...), several C type, etc.

I'd like to know more about that part of the process when the decision is made to choose what exhibit types are necessary.

Any hindsight, and recommendations are welcomed.

Cheers,

Jose

AKA: Juan