Lease Contracting Officers - Federal Real Property Question

Joe1

As a lease contracting officer (LCO), I'm wanting to get feedback on a current situation. Referencing the Competition in Contracting Act (CICA), does this apply in situations where a federal agency is already occupying commercial space (converse to a new requirement, solicitation and bidding process)? In other words, is GSA required to advertise a new lease opportunity on the open market, or can a Justification for Other than Full and Open Competition (JOFOC) apply when an agency wants to "stay in place"?

10 hours ago, Joe1 said:

As a lease contracting officer (LCO), I'm wanting to get feedback on a current situation. Referencing the Competition in Contracting Act (CICA), does this apply in situations where a federal agency is already occupying commercial space (converse to a new requirement, solicitation and bidding process)? In other words, is GSA required to advertise a new lease opportunity on the open market, or can a Justification for Other than Full and Open Competition (JOFOC) apply when an agency wants to "stay in place"?

Not a LCO.   Specific to your question GSA Part 570 of GSA's supplement to the FAR, the GSAM, holds the answer to your question.  Specifically Subpart 570.4 seems to be the place to look.

I can tell you GSA complied with CICA including JOFOC and synopsis requirements for a major lease recompetition.  Congressional interest delayed the procurement for a new lease and GSA reported through OMB and the White House to Congress on the required steps to keep the agency in place for a while

13 hours ago, C Culham said:

Not a LCO.   Specific to your question GSA Part 570 of GSA's supplement to the FAR, the GSAM, holds the answer to your question.  Specifically Subpart 570.4 seems to be the place to look.

Awesome. Thank you, C Culham. That reference definitely helps shed more insight on the situation after reading through.

11 hours ago, formerfed said:

I can tell you GSA complied with CICA including JOFOC and synopsis requirements for a major lease recompetition.  Congressional interest delayed the procurement for a new lease and GSA reported through OMB and the White House to Congress on the required steps to keep the agency in place for a while

Very interesting. I imagine that the acquisition threshold in entering into a new lease was a driving reason as to why the agency wanted to stay in place. But also, I imagine, the reason why the situation received such high level attention. Thank you for your input, formerfed.