Facilities Contracts

here_2_help

My impression is that facilities contracts are no longer a separate contract type. (I'm using the phrase "contract type" in the sense of what the government is acquiring: supplies, services, construction, R&D.) I base this impression on the elimination of FAR 31.106 from the FAR. However, that's just one data point and thus I am looking for some confirmation that facilities contracts, as a separate type of contract no longer exists in the regulations.

Does anybody still deal with facilities contracts? If so, what part of the FAR is guiding you?

That's true. See FAR Case 2004-025, which removed references to facilities contracts. See also the comment & response under Item 37 in the final rule.

One respondent stated that they currently have a facilities type contract and having that type contract in place saves the Government both time and money. Property on this contract supports over 150 Government tasks, across multiple agencies. The elimination of the facilities use type of contracts will have a negative effect on how we currently manage Government property.

Response: The Councils do not agree. A “facilities contract” is merely a form of service contract for property management. Agencies are not prohibited from issuing service contracts for this purpose.

With respect to the concern expressed in the comments to the proposed rule, the government could advertise for such contracts using the title “Facilities Service Contract for ‘XXX’ Installation” or something similar.

8 hours ago, here_2_help said:

Does anybody still deal with facilities contracts? If so, what part of the FAR is guiding you?

I use to award contracts for alterations and repairs of eleven Government buildings.  While GSA handled the actual "construction" projects, the leasing agency was responsible for most A&R.  Since the items (supplies and services) were typically deemed commercial in nature and acquired on the open-market, I was primarily guided by FAR part 12 and the contract format therein.  The services within these actions were subject to the Service Contract Labor Standards Act and required the incorporation of a DOL WD.  Therefore, I was additionally guided by Part 22, Application of Labor Laws to Government Acquisitions.