"Nice to have" requirements?

Freyr

I have a customer who's able to define what their bare minimum requirements are but they're willing to pay more if a contractor can propose something that exceeds those requirements in specific areas. I'm having trouble thinking of how to phrase the requirement though (It's a simplified acquisition, likely commercial). It's like saying at a minimum I need a vacuum that works on carpet but I'd be willing to pay more if it has a detachable hose. Would we be able to say we'll rate their technical acceptability as satisfactory if it meets the minimum XYZ, good if it meets XYZ and either A, B, or C, exceptional if it meets XYZ and any two A, B, or C, and outstanding if it meets XYZ and all 3 A, B, and C? Or maybe just each feature provides X number of points and rank them based on the number of points they have?

Or am I overcomplicating the whole thing?

1 hour ago, Freyr said:

I have a customer who's able to define what their bare minimum requirements are but they're willing to pay more if a contractor can propose something that exceeds those requirements in specific areas. I'm having trouble thinking of how to phrase the requirement though (It's a simplified acquisition, likely commercial). It's like saying at a minimum I need a vacuum that works on carpet but I'd be willing to pay more if it has a detachable hose. Would we be able to say we'll rate their technical acceptability as satisfactory if it meets the minimum XYZ, good if it meets XYZ and either A, B, or C, exceptional if it meets XYZ and any two A, B, or C, and outstanding if it meets XYZ and all 3 A, B, and C? Or maybe just each feature provides X number of points and rank them based on the number of points they have?

Or am I overcomplicating the whole thing?

I think you may be overcomplicating it. I think you need to state what the minimum requirements are and that the Government will consider inclusion of certain desired features in determining best value. Note that FAR 52.212-1 encourages submission of multiple offers, so respondents could submit a response that meets the minimum and another with bells and whistles.

Another thought is consideration of FAR 13.106-2(b) with a merging for the ability to tailor 52.212-1.

Indicate that your broad discretion in evaluating quotations will be inclusive of other features that may be offered if found desired and those providing quotes are encouraged to provide their quotes with such features beyond their base quote or something to the like.  In other words tailor the 52.212-1 to allow a single quote to include the base and the features rather than asking for multiple quotes.   

I propose this idea based on my personal experience that the commercial market place accommodates this all the time.  I ask how much is the vacuum and they give me the base price, and I say what if you add this hose and then they give me the new price or how much additional the hose is.  New car base price, what if you add a trailer hitch what's the price then, Tractor price plus adding pull behind bailer....etc. etc.  All seem common place with out having to secure multiple quotes with the next series of bells and whistles when I go buy something.   Keep it simple for your need and do it the way the commercial market place does it.

I'll add to what has been offered already.  Forget technical acceptability as a factor and focus on a simple tradeoff among value and price.  Say that you want a vacuum for a particular primary purpose, list the features you expect a quote to include, and state that you want as much value (functionality, features, capability, adaptability, user-friendliness, and so forth) for a price not exceeding $500.  Informally compare all of your quotes against each other (no adjectival ratings, just observations) and pick the one that provides the best value.  Maybe you select the $150 bronze-plated quote, maybe the $350 silver-plated quote, or maybe the $500 gold-plated quote -- you will decide that after you see the quotes.

Or, do some market research and pick something that you like -- specify that make and model as a brand-name-or-equal. 

Or, combine these two approaches.

But you must forget ratings (you mentioned satisfactory, good, and exceptional -- no, no, and no) and don't even think about points.