New to Fed Contracting

Stealth

Hi all. First time poster. I am starting with HHS in a month coming from municipal government procurement/contracting. While I have CPCM certification and am familiar with the 2 CFR 200 for Federal Grant Procurements, I am not familiar with the FAR. In the month before I start, I'd like to deep dive into the FAR, especially the most important sections that can help jump start me right away.

What are the most important sections of the FAR that you think I should study?

19 hours ago, Stealth said:

What are the most important sections of the FAR that you think I should study?

To an extent, the most important sections of FAR for you may be driven by what immediate type contracting you will be focused on i.e., sealed bidding, commercial items, simplified acquisitions,negotiated procurement, etc. I suggest a simplified overview first, if you haven't already. No jest, but I recommend you consider Federal Acquisition Regulations (Wikipedia) (and links there to other material), and (no offense), FAR for Dummies handbooks. Also, there are many internet introductions. Perhaps you can give more details about what you think you will be doing initially.    

Edited by Neil Roberts
redundant words

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2020 at 3:53 PM, Neil Roberts said:

To an extent, the most important sections of FAR for you may be driven by what immediate type contracting you will be focused on i.e., sealed bidding, commercial items, simplified acquisitions,negotiated procurement, etc. I suggest a simplified overview first, if you haven't already. No jest, but I recommend you consider Federal Acquisition Regulations (Wikipedia) (and links there to other material), and (no offense), FAR for Dummies handbooks. Also, there are many internet introductions. Perhaps you can give more details about what you think you will be doing initially.    

I started on Monday. The branch chief told me that You will want to focus on FAR parts 5, 6, 12, 13, 15 and 19. Our acquisitions run the gambit, although we don’t see sealed bidding and true R&D is rare, particularly for this team.

On 12/30/2020 at 4:23 PM, Don Mansfield said:

I would start here: https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc503280/m1/1/high_res_d/R42826_2015Feb03.pdf

When you're done, come back and I'll recommend more.

With the moving, it has been crazy trying to get myself ahead of the curve, but I have read some of this already. I'll let you know when I'm done.

Before you plunge into the FAR, consider buying Government Contracts in a Nutshell, 6th ed. (2015), by Steven Feldman, $58 for paperback, $38 for Kindle. It takes you through the FAR part-by-part and provides an overview. You can preview the table of contents via Amazon. From the preface:

"The Government Contracts Nutshell, Sixth Edition, is intended to highlight the essential elements and principles of government contracting regarding both contract formation and contract administration. It provides the reader with a foundation for understanding how government procurement works in formal and informal ways. Ideally, this treatment will enable students and practitioners to become familiar with the fundamentals of government contracting in a relatively short time."

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

Government Contracts in a Nutshell, 6th ed. (2015), by Steven Feldman is a good read so far. The FCN 101 with FAI/DAU seems to also help a bit. I don't have a formal internal training program so I wish there was a good checklist for things I need to do. A FAR matrix is good but only insofar as much as knowing how to use it.