Multiple Award IDIQ using FAR 35 & Broad Agency Announcements (BAA) Procedures

tranceaddict

Hello -

I'm in the beginning phases of the acquisition process and am exploring whether there is anything precluding me from awarding a multiple award IDIQ contract off of a BAA using FAR 35 and specific agency procedures.  I've never done one before so I'm wondering if it can be done.  We are thinking of soliciting, evaluating, and selecting the contractors through an amendment to an existing BAA.  The companies with the capability to provide the requirements are small, mostly companies that grew out of universities.

Many thanks!

Trance

Nothing prohibits IDIQ and I actually have experience with that. However, I don't understand the "multiple-award" part. I understand multiple-award to imply award of multiple contracts of the same scope resulting from a single solicitation and subsequent competition for task or delivery orders. Proposals under a BAA are likely to be very different and I would expect the scope of each contract to be different.

If what you mean is that you want to negotiate and award more than one IDIQ contract in response to multiple proposals received in response to a BAA, then I don't see a problem.

Thanks Don.  Yes, in terms of "multiple award" we want to award multiple awards of indefinite-quantity contracts under a single solicitation for the same or similar supplies or services to two or more sources.  We'd then compete the task orders amongst the awardees and specify the scope within the statement of work for that specific task order. The FAR states that the BAA technique shall only be used when meaningful proposals with varying technical/scientific approaches can be reasonably anticipated.  So if we can expect meaningful proposals, nothing would preclude me then, I suppose.