Use of a PWS with an OTA

Karaokelynn

Hi all,

I am in the process of developing a PWS for an OTA. I understand an OTA allows for a lot of flexibility and not subject to all of the rules that a contracts is subject to. I have an AO saying that because of this flexibility, I do not need CDRLs, DIDs, or a QASP. This is performance based. How are we to monitor the performance without identifying the performance standaand expectations? I have not found any information to support not needing those documents. Help!

1 hour ago, Karaokelynn said:

How are we to monitor the performance without identifying the performance standaand expectations? I have not found any information to support not needing those documents. Help!

You need to let go of your FAR/DFARS baggage. Review the "Administration" section of the DoD Other Transactions Guide and think through how best to administer the OTA. Pretend you don't work for DoD and you've never heard of the FAR or DFARS. You're a contract manager for an organization and you need to come up with a way to effectively monitor performance without overburdening the contractor. 

With OTs, you have a lot of discretion to do what makes sense without rules telling you what to do. You should take advantage of that. It's only a matter of time before the bureaucracy catches up to OTs.