Individual Contractor Recognition

faroutgeek

Have you searched the WIFCON Forum archives? There has been at least one thread that addresses your question. 

Here is one that I found: 

http://www.wifcon.com/discussion/index.php?/topic/161-letter-of-recommendation-for-contractor/

If you are with DoD, see DoD Manual 1400.25, subchapter 451. It states that it is DoD policy not to recognize private citizens or private entities that have a commercial or profit making relationship with the Department, unless the contribution is substantially beyond that specified or implied in the terms of the contract establishing the relationship, or the recognition is in the public interest.

Contractors and their employees are not eligible for monetary awards, non- monetary awards and other recognition, except in the rare instances allowed for by Volume 451.

see also:

https://www.acq.osd.mil/dpap/ccap/cc/corhb/Files/Contractor_Relationship/Guide for Gov-Ktr Relationship.doc#RecognitionandAwardGuidelines

Faroutgeek, I will admit that I am unable to do a WIFCON forum search on my Iphone. I click on the Spyglass icon and the search term box comes up. I click on it to pull up the keyboard and an ad for “FedBizAssist L.L.C.” pops up rather than the keyboard. I spent the better part of an hour this morning trying to find that thread that I referred to above!!!! I ended up doing google searches with key words  until I found something.

20 hours ago, faroutgeek said:

Joel: Thank you for the response. I did look up the archives too and was wondering if there was anything more recent since DOD Manual was dated a while back. Seems like it is still applicable. Appreciate the response

DOD Instruction 1400.25 Vol. 451 appears to be in effect. The latest version I could find is dated Nov 4, 2013 with an apparent expiration date of Nov 4, 2023. It provides as follows at Enclosure 3, page 16:

(2) To avoid issues in connection with contractual relationships and obligations, actual or perceived conflicts of interest,and actual or perceived acts of favoritism, persons, organizations, or companies having a commercial or profit-making relationship with the DoD or with a DoD Component will not be granted recognition. The single exception is if the contribution is deemed to be unrelated to and completely outside any contractual relationship with DoD and the recognition is clearly in the public interest. Recognition is limited to a letter or a certificate of appreciation to the individual or to the organization signed at the lowest applicable level of the organization.

(3) DoD Components must not permit any persons, organizations,or companies having a commercial or profit-making relationship with the DoD to participate in DoD’s civilian awards programs and must not create awards or awards programs to recognize such persons, organizations,or companies.

See https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/140025/140025_vol451.pdf

Also see 5 CFR § 2635.702, which states in part:

(b) Appearance of governmental sanction. Except as otherwise provided in this part, an employee shall not use or permit the use of his Government position or title or any authority associated with his public office in a manner that could reasonably be construed to imply that his agency or the Government sanctions or endorses his personal activities or those of another. When teaching, speaking, or writing in a personal capacity, he may refer to his official title or position only as permitted by § 2635.807(b). He may sign a letter of recommendation using his official title only in response to a request for an employment recommendation or character reference based upon personal knowledge of the ability or character of an individual with whom he has dealt in the course of Federal employment or whom he is recommending for Federal employment.

(c) Endorsements. An employee shall not use or permit the use of his Government position or title or any authority associated with his public office to endorse any product, service or enterprise except:

(1) In furtherance of statutory authority to promote products, services or enterprises; or

(2) As a result of documentation of compliance with agency requirements or standards or as the result of recognition for achievement given under an agency program of recognition for accomplishment in support of the agency's mission.

The government can recognize a contractor through a formal past performance evaluation and it is up to the contractor to recognize its own employees.