Thanks for the responses.  Previous history with here_2_help and C Culham have been helpful indeed.  I don't want to be unappreciative of their help.

This was my first thread since buying a new computer, and Bob had to help me with the logistics so I could post.  The Sick Leave question for the above was a simple trial post and I was 98% sure I was correct.

Forums such as this often get responses with links rather than plain English.  And they are better than nothing.  But many times lazy people (such as myself) would rather entertain a simple yes or no with minimal discussion, as opposed to reading 50 pages of detail - and detail presented by govt sources and lawyers undoubtedly is in stilted language difficult for the layman to understand.

Just to focus on the problem:  In the last few days I have worked on a large proposal where the RFP was very clear:  "Do not enter links as part of your response."  In other words, no one wants to deal with going to some other website when they are expecting verbage.

Many of the topics do not have simple answers such as this one.  Contributors here are generous with their time, and none of them should be expected to issue long responses that take hours to explain.  So people as ignorant as myself come to the forum with questions, "beggars can't be choosers" is a fair assessment.  But readers would also enjoy one-line or simple paraphrased answers rather than a link with several pages of stilted language.

Hope this is taken well. 

Sometimes, a question will get a short and succinct answer.

But sometimes, a short and succinct answer simply isn't possible.

And sometimes, a link is exactly the right answer.

It all depends on the question, and the way the questioner posits the question.

Hope this is taken well.

9 hours ago, Corduroy Frog said:

Thanks for the responses.  Previous history with here_2_help and C Culham have been helpful indeed.  I don't want to be unappreciative of their help.

This was my first thread since buying a new computer, and Bob had to help me with the logistics so I could post.  The Sick Leave question for the above was a simple trial post and I was 98% sure I was correct.

Forums such as this often get responses with links rather than plain English.  And they are better than nothing.  But many times lazy people (such as myself) would rather entertain a simple yes or no with minimal discussion, as opposed to reading 50 pages of detail - and detail presented by govt sources and lawyers undoubtedly is in stilted language difficult for the layman to understand.

Just to focus on the problem:  In the last few days I have worked on a large proposal where the RFP was very clear:  "Do not enter links as part of your response."  In other words, no one wants to deal with going to some other website when they are expecting verbage.

Many of the topics do not have simple answers such as this one.  Contributors here are generous with their time, and none of them should be expected to issue long responses that take hours to explain.  So people as ignorant as myself come to the forum with questions, "beggars can't be choosers" is a fair assessment.  But readers would also enjoy one-line or simple paraphrased answers rather than a link with several pages of stilted language.

Hope this is taken well. 

By experience in participating in Forum for a number of years here is my one liner simple paraphrased response for you, and one that I, as a lazy responder, could use on almost every single question posted....

"It depends."

😃

11 hours ago, Corduroy Frog said:

Contributors here are generous with their time, and none of them should be expected to issue long responses that take hours to explain.  So people as ignorant as myself come to the forum with questions, "beggars can't be choosers" is a fair assessment.  But readers would also enjoy one-line or simple paraphrased answers rather than a link with several pages of stilted language.

Hope this is taken well. 

No problems from my end. Either answers work or they don't.

On the other hand, a couple of non-government posters here (including me!) are consultants in real life, and try to make some kind of living doing so. Speaking solely for myself, I'm not ever going to invest a lot of time in providing free consulting advice.

In other words, you get what you pay for.