How do I go about hiring my subcontracting team?

Dear Readers,

I have chosen to go by the route of doing subcontracting work for a Prime Contractor.

For that reason I need to hire employees who can do work in the contracting business and will be federally compliant.

I have turned to your guys in the hopes that I would be pointed in the right direction.

How can I to hire my subcontracting team?

I am looking forward to your input.

Thank you

5 hours ago, GovBiz said:

I have chosen to go by the route of doing subcontracting work for a Prime Contractor.

For that reason I need to hire employees who can do work in the contracting business and will be federally compliant.

I'm going to be honest with you. Every single government contractor, every single prime and every single subcontractor, desperately wants to find employees who will be federally compliant. The market for such people is very, very tight--especially if they can also perform the technical work.

Every time some contractor hires an employee who turns out not to be federally compliant, it hurts their reputation and can cost them lots of lost profit dollars.

I just want you to understand the task you've set for yourself. Right away, you're competing with Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, and all the other big companies.

Good luck.

10 hours ago, here_2_help said:

I'm going to be honest with you. Every single government contractor, every single prime and every single subcontractor, desperately wants to find employees who will be federally compliant. The market for such people is very, very tight--especially if they can also perform the technical work.

Every time some contractor hires an employee who turns out not to be federally compliant, it hurts their reputation and can cost them lots of lost profit dollars.

I just want you to understand the task you've set for yourself. Right away, you're competing with Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, and all the other big companies.

Good luck.

Do you know hiring firms or agencies or companies for federally compliant employees?

I am looking forward to your assistance, thank you

1 hour ago, GovBiz said:

Do you know hiring firms or agencies or companies for federally compliant employees?

I am looking forward to your assistance, thank you

There are several firms/agencies that say they can hire federally compliant employees. And many of those employees are, in fact, federally compliant or can be trained to be so. But there is always the possibility that some bad apples are going to slip through. You can't tell just by looking.

Let me suggest to you that your first hire should be somebody who understands the Federal marketplace and where your company can reasonably be expected to source subcontract awards. Next, you should hire somebody who can help you and your (future) workforce prepare to be Federally compliant--somebody who understands the rules you will likely need to comply with. Then -- and only then -- start worrying about the rest of the workforce.

37 minutes ago, here_2_help said:

There are several firms/agencies that say they can hire federally compliant employees. And many of those employees are, in fact, federally compliant or can be trained to be so. But there is always the possibility that some bad apples are going to slip through. You can't tell just by looking.

Let me suggest to you that your first hire should be somebody who understands the Federal marketplace and where your company can reasonably be expected to source subcontract awards. Next, you should hire somebody who can help you and your (future) workforce prepare to be Federally compliant--somebody who understands the rules you will likely need to comply with. Then -- and only then -- start worrying about the rest of the workforce.

Right okay thank you for the detailed information.

How and where do I look for these firms/agencies?

Thank you

How can I guarantee that my subcontracting team of employees won't drop everything in the middle of a contract and leave me hanging?

Will each of the emplyees sign a contracting/hiring agreement or similar.

How can I have my back covered prior to partnering with the Prime Contractor?

Thank you

1 hour ago, GovBiz said:

How can I guarantee that my subcontracting team of employees won't drop everything in the middle of a contract and leave me hanging?

I don't know what state you plan to operate out of. Many states are "employment at will" states, meaning that either party can walk away at any time.

14 minutes ago, here_2_help said:

I don't know what state you plan to operate out of. Many states are "employment at will" states, meaning that either party can walk away at any time.

In general for any state, surely there must be a standard procedure to protect both parties?

Because if they were to leave me hanging, everything will fall on my back to deal with and it wouldn't even be my fault.

Both parties need be covered one way or another in the event of possible ramifications.