An excellent point the OFPP Administrator raised - why do some agencies take 7 months to buy the same thing other agencies do in 7 weeks?  

https://fcw.com/articles/2020/10/08/wooten-frictionless-acquisition.aspx

Going back to my government days, my boss pushed for excellence.  We ended up doing outreach to clients/customers and found education in the procurement process was lacking.  So we pushed training, education, and information.  We provided samples, templates, guidance and training for clients.  It worked.  PALT, as measured from when customers identified a need to award, was reduced by half in a two year period.  Customer satisfaction went from 40% to 90% over the same time period.  

Does your agency reach out to help and train?

I would hope that at least some agencies conduct training for the clients and customers, but I doubt that is the case.  I have offered training for years to the 1102 and program folks for the agencies that I support as a SBA Procurement Center Representative and all I have gotten (with two exceptions), is a big, hollow, empty nothing in return.  Given that anything I present is worth CLPs and is free of cost, that baffles me.  If contracting offices won't push training for their own staff, its not likely they are emphasizing it for their clients and customers.  

Many contracting executives care little about responsiveness, flexibility, agility, and accomplishing their agency's mission -- they are overwhelmingly focused on avoiding controversy as their prime directive.  Or so it seems...

We need a combination -- we need contracting executives who really care about responsiveness, flexibility, agility, and accomplishing their agency's mission -- and we also need contracting officers who are competent, skilled, professional, and so forth.  We have too many contracting officers who are either reckless or who approach their jobs with a clerical mindset.  Or so it seems... 

Professional dialogue, such as here at WIFCON, might be part of the cure.